Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Sign in to follow this  
Member Berry

European Union Brexit

I won't pretend to know more than those who actually live there and are more informed, but after reading this article, I was very surprised just how much actual power the EU had over the UK. With 15-50% of the UK's legislation coming from the EU and the fact that it could only be overruled or overturned by the EU I can see why some citizens could have a problem with it. The following is an excerpt from the article:

"The more the EU does, the less room there is for national decision-making. Sometimes these EU rules sound simply ludicrous, like the rule that you can’t recycle a teabag, or that children under eight cannot blow up balloons, or the limits on the power of vacuum cleaners. Sometimes they can be truly infuriating – like the time I discovered, in 2013, that there was nothing we could do to bring in better-designed cab windows for trucks, to stop cyclists being crushed. It had to be done at a European level, and the French were opposed."

"Sometimes the public can see all too plainly the impotence of their own elected politicians- as with immigration. That enrages them; not so much the numbers as the lack of control. That is what we mean by loss of sovereignty – the inability of people to kick out, at elections, the men and women who control their lives. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/03/16/boris-johnson-exclusive-there-is-only-one-way-to-get-the-change/

As a U.S. citizen I'm a firm believer in our Tenth Amendment (states rights) and I prefer less federal involvement (unless it's national security) so I can't even imagine having to answer so often to a separate entity that at times supersedes our own nations laws and will. I understand that as an American, I have a different perspective. Like I said, this will no doubt have negative economic effects at least in the short-term for the UK.

That article is an opinion piece.    

Also pretty sure people get to vote on who represents them in the European Parliament.  The fact that voting participation in those elections have been going down is people's fault. 

But as an American in a republic, I cannot fathom having a foreign body (who we cannot vote out) legislate what we do (especially in our personal lives) and it supersede our own will as well as those who we elect to lead us.

I'm not saying the EU is a great thing, it has good aspects and bad aspects, but from your posts you're just making it out as some undemocratic organization with total control over the UK.  EU will doesn't supersede the UK, according to the UK constitution parliament is the supreme legal authority in the UK.  Yes you can vote out the EU, people just did in the UK.  

Very good posts CM and Haart. Like I said, I come from a different perspective, so I cannot truly make a qualified opinion from the perspective of someone in the UK. But as an American in a republic, I cannot fathom having a foreign body (who we cannot vote out) legislate what we do (especially in our personal lives) and it supersede our own will as well as those who we elect to lead us.

It doesn't matter if it is an opinion piece, he used factual examples which I quoted.

Only 4% of the people running the EU are UK nationals, yet Britain contains 12% of the EU population. It's bad enough a sovereign nation must abide by laws from a governing body mostly outside it's borders, but it's even worse when their influence is a third of what at least should be reflected. The fact is a very large majority of governing members of the EU are not elected by UK citizens. Again, I cannot imagine the U.S. doing anything like that, but then again- we're a Republic.

England doesn't have a codified Constitution like most other nations have.

The article I linked to gave specific examples of where the EU supersedes what the UK may want. The EU passes it and the UK must abide by it's legislation.

No you cannot pass laws that trump the EU legislation and that's what I've been saying. The only way you vote out EU leadership is to remove your representatives (which is a mere 4% of the EU's leadership) or remove yourself completely from the EU, which they just voted to do.

Although I don't have any warm feelings for the EU, I understand that you can't leave in an instant just because that's want the people want. The economy will no doubt take a hit, so it is essential that you try to minimize the bad effects and overall be well prepared for the actual withdrawal. Also, even though my country in its whole is part of the EU, the Åland Islands are not, so all parts of Britain don't need to exit either if the people in that certain region want to stay. That is to say if the politicians respect the outcome of the vote - the election was still "only" an advisory one - so the politicians are not forced to go through with it. I am not familar with British politicians, but in my country politicians can't be trusted.

...and Boris (who lead the Brexit campaign) has decided not to enter the race to be the new Conservative leader. We didn't really need the proof, but now it is blatant that his Brexit role was simply a way of raising his political profile.

Some other poor sod is going to have to get us through the mess as best as possible. Good luck to them, I hope they do a great job and are remembered as such.

...and Boris (who lead the Brexit campaign) has decided not to enter the race to be the new Conservative leader. We didn't really need the proof, but now it is blatant that his Brexit role was simply a way of raising his political profile.

Some other poor sod is going to have to get us through the mess as best as possible. Good luck to them, I hope they do a great job and are remembered as such.

From what I hear, Boris lost a lot of his backers; essentially forced to rule himself out to save face from an inevitable loss.

More publicly, his camp is characterising this as a move to maintain unity within the Conservative party.

One british parliamentarian described what was happening in the corridors of power as making 'House of Cards look like Teletubbies'