Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Sign in to follow this  
Member Berry

Rio 2016!

So what do people think of the Olympics so far?  Anyone actually go to Brazil? 

Here is the medal count: 

http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals

Go  Team USA!!

Poland is a bit disappointing tho :( 

Go Team GB! Second on the table, looking to set the bar for best performance for an Olympics after a home Olympics

Worth pointing out that the USA uses its own ranking system based on total medals, while everybody else uses the Olympic convention of ranking by Golds, then Silvers, then Bronzes.

Worth pointing out that the USA uses its own ranking system based on total medals, while everybody else uses the Olympic convention of ranking by Golds, then Silvers, then Bronzes.

Either way, we're still the best. 

The Rio Olympics are a fucking joke. The resident population are terrible hosts.

Not unless you include Team EU :P

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/701448/Rio-2016-Olympics-European-Union-EU-Brexit-Ukip

Cheeky sods ;)

I don't watch any kind of sports anymore since there are only doped people participating, and I'm not interested in seing cowards.

As for the medals, I only see one correct way to count them; 3 points for each gold medal, 2 points for each silver and 1 point for each bronze. Naturally countries with a large population usually have potential to get many medals, so if you want to be even more accurate you should divide the total points with the population of that country.

There must be some metric you can create where you can weight stats like population, number of athletes competing, GDP, home advantage, and any other relevant stat to rank countries performance.

I don't watch any kind of sports anymore since there are only doped people participating, and I'm not interested in seing cowards.

I think that is a bit harsh, not everyone participating in sports is doping.

As for the medals, I only see one correct way to count them; 3 points for each gold medal, 2 points for each silver and 1 point for each bronze. 

Sounds fair and simple enough. 

There must be some metric you can create where you can weight stats like population, number of athletes competing, GDP, home advantage, and any other relevant stat to rank countries performance.

Well, a lot of athletes from other countries train in the US so that is an interesting aspect. 

u can create where you can weight stats like population, number of athletes competing, GDP, home advantage, and any other relevant stat to rank countries performance. 

As for the medals, I only see one correct way to count them; 3 points for each gold medal, 2 points for each silver and 1 point for each bronze. Naturally countries with a large population usually have potential to get many medals, so if you want to be even more accurate you should divide the total points with the population of that country.

Not unless you include Team EU :P

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/701448/Rio-2016-Olympics-European-Union-EU-Brexit-Ukip

Cheeky sods ;)

No team EU, cute attempt to try to get first place though :P 

I think that is a bit harsh, not everyone participating in sports is doping.

All participants are a potential match to doping. During the games you can't be sure who has been taken illegal drugs and who hasn't, so I have to assume that everyone is guilty. After all, there are always participants who are guilty and many of them still don't get caught. Doping is a problem only because the organizers do not take it seriously; the ones who get caught for doping should be punished and people should be deterred from even trying illegal substances.

Team GB (UK+friends) did a lot better than I would have expected! 1.06 medals per 1 million people! (vs. 0.38 per 1 million people for the USA ;)) At a quick glance, Denmark is even more impressive. 2.7 medals per 1 million inhabitants!

We also won medals in the widest range of sports (19 separate sports)

Team GB (UK+friends) did a lot better than I would have expected! 1.06 medals per 1 million people! (vs. 0.38 per 1 million people for the USA ;)) At a quick glance, Denmark is even more impressive. 2.7 medals per 1 million inhabitants!

Just mad you didn't get the most medals.

I thought the games overall were pretty decent, not the best(that belongs to London 2012, but they weren't bad.)  All the problems everyone raised the alarm about I think were overblown, I didn't really see any issues when I watched the Olympics, but then again, I watched from a TV so the problems could have been intentionally hidden from view.  Really looking forward to Tokyo 2020. 

What's even more impressive for the U.S. is that we are one of the only Olympic nations not funded by the government. Most countries fund their Olympians and often have a minister of sports. Countries like China have rigorous government programs to train athletes. Here, it's through donations. Many outsiders may not even know how difficult it is for many athletes to get the funding needed, especially in less known sports.