Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Sign in to follow this  
Ven

College kid needs computer advice

So, I'll be starting at Univ. of Missouri next fall, and I need some help finding a good laptop.

The university recommends Dell or Apple, I'm kinda leaning towards an Apple MacBook Pro.

This one specifically:

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX

15-inch: 2.66GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB memory

320GB hard drive1

SD card slot

Built-in 7-hour battery2

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

Really, all I'll be using it for is writing papers, presentations, and other college stuffs. other than that, I'll be watching videos and playing games (prolly only FSX if it is comptabile, otherwise prolly no games). and I may include photoshop somewhere in the future

Is this good? Or do you have any other computers that would be good too?

I lean to apple cause their are less viruses

A good free virus program like agv or avast is sufficient for blovking virusses, malware and such. I myself used an acer during college and this worked perfectly, windows media player or VLC player both with the latest codec pack is sufficient for watching all those series and movies you want. Also games I could play, the limit there was the videocard.

Look for a laptop for wifi capabilities and therefore also weight and batterylife. Above recommended laptop is indeed suited for this imo, perhaps there are cheaper ones?

Ven, no. Don't get a MacBook Pro.

I said in a similar topic here about my friend who bought one of them. Such a waste of money. For what she spent she coulda got a far more powerful desktop AND a powerful netbook.

I'd honestly go for that option, you end up with much more flexibility, power and portability.

The whole Mac vs Windows debate should not happen here people!

I'm loving every bit of my MacBook Pro 13"

I got the cheapest version (with student discount) with an extra 2GB RAM. I have had no problem learning how to use it (Windows convert). I'm not missing playing games, because it lets me focus on more important things (I have access to a console though).

Honestly, if you have the money and aren't going to be in a tight situation, I'd get one. If you don't, I wouldn't get one :)

Also remember to NEVER EVER take a loan as you will always end up paying more for it.

Tank, what would be a good non-mac notebook then :P

I was looking at a Dell XPS Studio notebook, but I wasn't sure about it

I initially wanted to get a Dell, but then I found out they didn't have the parts in there that I wanted (their parts = cheap and not as good and up to date).

A Mac is what I wanted. I liked it so I got it. I still do like it :)

While I am openly pretty anti-Mac, I'm pretty anti-expensive-laptop, too :P

Dell are okay. They're what we use at work, and the quality of their products varies massively between each model. Some of their laptops I've worked with are excellent build quality and durability, others aren't so great.

Get on IRC and we can discuss options :P

lol i must eat dinner, but ill try to get on in a bit or tomorrow sometime :D

I've found that the Mac OS is generally much less "attention" needy. You don't have to deal with Windows problems such as significant degraded performance over time (my geeky roommate will attest to this, and he's a big linux fan).

The only problem I've had with it is the vast realm of third party programs you'll be turned off from.

Also, the hardware designs of Macs are the best in the business.

Degraded performance can be solved by defragging, something Linux and Macs don't need to do. Not really a problem on a Windows PC, though.

The hardware that Apple make is entirely proprietary. If you try to upgrade, you'll have to shell out a lot more than you might with a Windows/Linux PC to buy a Mac upgrade package. (This is what I've been told, anyway... by a hardcore mac fan >_>)

well i intend to keep it for 4 years, unless I have to replace it, so upgrades aren't a big worry to me

I concur with the netbook option if you only plan on doing your course work.

If you plan to do gaming on the side, I personally use a Dell Studio XPS 13. It's small and light, has a 4-6 hour battery, great graphics (NVIDIA 9400M), 4GB of DDR3 ram, and a spacious 320GB hard drive. I've had no problems with it. Also, if you want extra security from viruses and more (Macs can get viruses too) I suggest visiting Centurion Technologies and buying Smart Shield. It keeps your system in a suspended state, so that when you reboot, any changes that were made are erased. You can easily set up a drive partition to prevent school documents from being deleted.

hey Ven. First off, I'd like to say AVOID MAC! Some people may say that Macs are better quality. Sure, they probably are but you pay dearly for it. Is the extra quality really worth two to three times the cost of a PC? No, I don't think it is. You could replace your PC two or three times and still be under the price tag of a comparable Mac. Defrag your hard drive every two weeks and you'll be fine with a PC. I've had the same PC since 2001 and, with the exception of some minor annoyances and habits the computer has developed, there has really not been a major problem.

As for reduced costs, that is what I specialize in. You can get some really good computers from Buy.com They often have sales on laptops and the occasional desk top. If you're looking for something even cheaper, you can go with one of their factory refurbished systems, which would serve your school and entertainment needs, unless you're a hardcore PC gamer.

Next up is tigerdirect.com They have a TON of low cost PCs that are high quality and if something should go wrong with the PC, you can return it to them. They're really great about that. You may also want to consider netbooks. They don't have a disc drive so you can't play games on it or burn CDs but you can use a word processor, a printer and most importantly, you can connect to the internet! Here's a bunch of reasonably priced netbooks: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=2814&EdpNo=5367089&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2015-_-CatId_2814_S203-10112 They even have an HP Mini for $240

Maybe somebody can answer this. Can you buy an external drive if you want to burn DVDs or CDs on a netbook?

Build your own laptop.

No, I didn't read the posts above me.

Maybe somebody can answer this. Can you buy an external drive if you want to burn DVDs or CDs on a netbook?

You sure can. Just hook it up through the USB port.

What I was actually suggesting was buying both a netbook /and/ a desktop. You'd leave the desktop in your room and take the netbook around with you.

You could very easily remotely control your desktop from your netbook to use its applications, too. That'd mean you could use far more powerful programs from the netbook than you'd usually be able to.

That's what I'm going to be doing when I go to uni next year.

What I was actually suggesting was buying both a netbook /and/ a desktop. You'd leave the desktop in your room and take the netbook around with you.

You could very easily remotely control your desktop from your netbook to use its applications, too. That'd mean you could use far more powerful programs from the netbook than you'd usually be able to.

That's what I'm going to be doing when I go to uni next year.

Oh, remote desktop. I love that ^.^

The reason I don't want a desktop is that the dorms at Mizzou aren't exactly spacious, so I want to be able to have something smaller that I can pack up and go. Also, I don't want two computers, my mom would say it was unnecessary lol. Also, I hate netbooks, I hate how small they are. I need at least a 15 inch screen, for personal preferences.

I was thinking about the Dell XPS Studio notebook but I heard a lot of people had problems with the components being junk or the thing just crashing all the time.

I went to Best Buy today and the Geek Squad guy (lol) suggested this Gateway notebook, but it didn't seem too impressive. Also, Gateway has been slowly turning into an HP in quality from what I've seen (our school has gateways and they're crap).

would this one be good (the one on the far right):

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-studio-xps-16/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-xps-16&s=dhs&cs=19

Acer is really good Ven. I've had an Acer laptop for going on three months now and have not had any problems with it. Laptops really do most everything a desktop does. this one has a 15.6" screen, 160GB HD, 3GB RAM, DVD drive and a built in card reader.

I despise Acer :P

You've seemed to have disagreed with about everything I would have suggested so far, but listen to this:

DO NOT get an ATI Mobility graphics card. The second you actually buy one the drivers have already been discontinued. I know this prom personal experience.

Before you buy a laptop, ask yourself exactly what you're going to be using it for. Since you actually have told us, and it didn't include hardcore gaming, don't spend so much money on a high performance laptop. There is no need for an XPS, which is very overpriced to begin with. Look at a Lenovo Thinkpad. These are very nice laptops without the insane pricetag. My roommate owns a thinkpad and I've heard nothing but praise for it. The T series is a good choice. For what you said you would be doing, there is no need to get descrete graphics card.

The reason I don't want a desktop is that the dorms at Mizzou aren't exactly spacious, so I want to be able to have something smaller that I can pack up and go. Also, I don't want two computers, my mom would say it was unnecessary lol. Also, I hate netbooks, I hate how small they are. I need at least a 15 inch screen, for personal preferences.

I was thinking about the Dell XPS Studio notebook but I heard a lot of people had problems with the components being junk or the thing just crashing all the time.

I went to Best Buy today and the Geek Squad guy (lol) suggested this Gateway notebook, but it didn't seem too impressive. Also, Gateway has been slowly turning into an HP in quality from what I've seen (our school has gateways and they're crap).

would this one be good (the one on the far right):

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-studio-xps-16/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-xps-16&s=dhs&cs=19

Yeah, gateway seems to be pretty HP-ish in quality. The laptop you link to looks very nice, but if your willing to downsize a bit I would suggest to you the laptop I just recieved for Christmas (Which I'm using to type this post). Its a Toshiba from Best Buy that just $629. 16'inch screen, Intel Core 2 Duo with 4gb ram. The thread "Laptop Advice" should have a link.

Acer is really good Ven. I've had an Acer laptop for going on three months now and have not had any problems with it. Laptops really do most everything a desktop does. this one has a 15.6" screen, 160GB HD, 3GB RAM, DVD drive and a built in card reader.

Sounds like the level right below my laptop :P

I despise Acer :P

I agree.

I also need it to be quite durable and it has to have great mobility because I'm going to be studying abroad a bit, and if I can still use it after school, I will be traveling A LOT.

Ven, while I disagree with your reasoning for not having a netbook/desktop combo ("my mum would say it's pointless"... :P), if you're going for a laptop I'd really listen to Rajin.

I've used a few Lenovo laptops/netbooks at work, at they're of excellent build quality. Every aspect of the machines had a sturdy, reliable feel, the price tag wasn't too high and the software support from their website was excellent.

The funny part Kochers is that while mine may be a step below yours, it was also $300 less than yours. I'll take that trade off any day.