Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
FreddieMercury

Gun Control: Do more guns = more crime?

and as to Africa, we are back to the difference between blaming the implements and the people! it's always the people. Africa has genocide because Africans want to kill their neighbors and no other reason!

they outlawed swords in 1860, the primitive matchlocks had long gone out of use. in any case those matchlocks were superior to swords on the battlefield. how do you think they displaced the sword in the first place? one on one had nothing to do with it! in any case the outlawing of swords had nothing to do with crime, it had everything to do with breaking the power of the samurai nobility! politics, politics!

Not in Japan, who didn't catch up with the Western world in technology until the 1900's. They used the same primitive guns for over 100 years, never innovating.

My point is, guns were not very practical for personal self defense back then. Guns prevailed on the battlefield more because of logistics, training someone to use a gun is far cheaper and faster than training someone to use a bow/sword effectively. And thus they had a far easier time raising a large gun toting army than a sword toting army.

And I didn't say outlawing swords was due to eliminating crime, rather I pointed that as an example that even though something may have heavy cultural significance (i.e. the gun to some people in the US and of course the Sword to the Samurai) it's not impossible thing to change.

and as to Africa, we are back to the difference between blaming the implements and the people! it's always the people. Africa has genocide because Africans want to kill their neighbors and no other reason!

So then why aren't you blaming the British for abusing their weapons rather than blaming the difference in armaments?

Would gun controal lower the number of gun related CRIME simple answer is no. We have drugs are illegal and yet theu flood into this country without a problem why would guns be any different? I completely agree with the post saying that there should be a mandatory 20 year sentence for any crime where a gun is used. I have several guns and none of them have ever grow legs and shot people.

the thing about abusing armaments doesn't make any sense. and you need to brush up on your history, the Japanese used the same weapons as the rest of the world in the nineteenth century, as a matter of fact they bought weapons from the US and Europe in particular. your arguments just don't hold together!

Even IF guns make things more dangerous, an individual has a right to defend oneself.

It might be a safer world for some if we had draconian laws that denied people of their liberty in other areas as well (speech, religion, Curfews, etc) But I'd rather live free with danger than be safe in a dictatorship.

the Japanese do lie about their crime statistics, they often do it in novel ways like the "family suicide" fiction the use to jigger murder statistics. if a man goes home and murders his wife and 50 children, the Japanese government counts it as One suicide, not 51 murders and 1 suicide!

no one said that guns, or anything else are a "miracle cure" just that gun control as crime control is a failure. quite a bit of the academic research you refer to has been discredited by more honest academic research.

the reality is that prohibition, including gun control doesn't work!

im sorry but saying more guns will solve the problem of gun violence is like saying that more debt will solve our debt problem.

Honestly, those who talk of a gun ban are too radical. In order for a ban to work you'd have to get every single gun off the streets and that isn't going to happen. Plus you'd have to keep the out.

My problem with the whole matter is we regulate other things that dont stop people. We regulate drinking and driving but people still do that...are we going to stop attempting to regulate it because some people disobey? What about rape? People still rape others, should we make that legal because we can't fully prevent it? No! Using the excuse that it wont stop people from doing bad things is not valid, because no matter what people will do bad things. Why not take every step to minimize that risk? And don't say "oh if our guns are taken we can't defend ourselves." Bullshit. 

Pretty much what DW said. Which is the point made at one point in the following video, which I now provide for your delectation (or disapproval):

http://vimeo.com/64432171

There always needs to be a balance of power.  When a vacuum of power is created and ambitious powerful bad people will seize opportunity.  Oppression or slaughter will result hence a balance of power regardless of the power or technology must be maintained.  

I agree with all the points DW has made thus far. The simple fact is we can't outlaw guns all together. This would just be impractical as well as cause a large portion of the population to feel as if their rights have been violated. I also agree with his point that just because stricter gun control won't make it so every criminal can't get guns, it shows that we, as a country, are opposed to gun violence. There are a couple of specific policies that, based off my personal experiences, would help keep people safe without taking away their rights. an Extremely simple rule that would increase safety in regards to guns is that when a gun is in storage, It should be kept in a locked container like a lock box, a safe, or even a glove box that can lock. This precaution may seem trivial to some of you, however my coworker Devin used to work for the police department and left his gun out in his house, one day his four year old found it. I will not even bother to go into the rest as you can probably guess. There is also the recent bill in the house of representatives known as H.R. 437 which if it had passed would have changed the rules regarding large capacity fire arms and fixed magazines. This bill had the right idea in this aspect but was grouped in with other ideas that are way to extreme and wouldn't have worked in the long run. The clause that I believe is one that should have been enacted was that magazines with over 10 rounds would be illegal. The reason I believe this is reasonable is that it is still possible to hunt, go sports shooting , and defend oneself without the ability to kill large numbers of people such as in columbine or other such incidents.

I agree. I don't honestly think any non-radical political figure has proposed the full banning of guns. Nobody, or not may people, are trying to take away your hand guns, and shotguns. The 2nd amendment has limitations to it, a nuclear missile is an "arm" should we be allowed to have those in our back yards because of the second amendment? No, there was no way to foresee the might and power of high power machine guns of the future, so it is childish at best to say that the second amendment should protect the right to those.