Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Sign in to follow this  
The Shah

Drugs

I was just flipping through the headlines and saw that Mexico has made it legal to have small amounts of marijuana, cocaine and heroin. This naturally got me thinking of how necessary our 'War on Drugs' is. The War on Drugs costs about $1 billion a week, and it's obiously not working. About 46% of Americans have tried an illegal narcodic; meanwhile, we have the greatest prison population in the world. Is there any reason to continue this fight?

(For the record I've never taken any drug. Not one hit, not even a sip of alcohol. Not because I'm afraid of the law, I just have no interest in it.)

I'm not sure anything like marijuana should be legalized (I am not too keen on expansion of legality for anything involving smoking of any kind), however I do believe the punishments need to be reformed. Throwing someone in jail for possession of marijuana strikes me as overkill.

If someone is caught in possession of marijuana or some other relatively harmless drug, give them a nominal fine or some sort of community service. Jail/prison time is simply inappropriate.

/here, they just shoot you.

//how's that for zero tolerance?

Well, one of the things California is considering to lower their budget deficit is a legalization of marijuana and simply taxing it. I think this is a good idea. Marijuana has been demonized for so long. As the Shah said, 46% of people have tried narcotics. I'm willing to bet that most of that 40% was marijuana. Which means that we have been dealing with people who are high day in and day out and for the most part we have never noticed. I don't see why we can't tax marijuana like we tax alcohol and tobacco and save the money for fighting the real dangers, like heroin, cocaine and meth.

When you legalize it, first, you will lower the price because it won't be so hard to come by. You will open up our jails for real criminals and you'll end the backlog in our judicial system, not to mention the money law enforcement would be saving.

As for not wanting to smoke marijuana, are you guys aware that they sell marijuana in lollipops, ice cream, soft drinks and stuff? They put the active ingredient of marijuana in these products to produce the same effect as smoking marijuana.

I'm not too sure on this one. I think hard drugs should be illegal, as they're quite clearly very bad for your health, but "soft" drugs like marijuana? The health effects are fairly debated.

In the UK, possession of it just gets you warned by the police not to do it again (might have changed recently, actually). It's very rare to be put in prison for it, though the penalty for selling it is much more severe.

I don't think it means we've been dealing with high people all day, just that they've tried it at least once in their life :P

Drugs are bad, but so is alcohol and tobacco. I don't do drugs, but I do drink alcohol.

There's a very fine line between protecting a population and restricting them, so I think legalizing it and just taxing the hell out of it isn't that bad an idea.

I say potheads shouldn't want drugs to be legalized. Right now they're cheap and easy to get. If legalized it would it be taxed and throw into the market system; but the government would regulate how much true substance goes into the final product. So people would be paying more for less quality.

Drugs might also teach Americans the Metric System.

War on drugs is a waste. I presonally thing most drugs should be legalized, even taxed. Government regulation might actually help a bit as far as helping people with drug dependencies and seeking help, etc.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of government regulation, but I would much rather have something regulated than be illegal.

What really gets me is the Schedule system of America's drugs. Drugs like Phenylcylidine (PCP, which has neurotoxic effects) are schedule II, which means only distribution and manufacture is illegal, while harmless drugs such as marijuana it is a felony for possesion.

Now I can't exactly say I've never done drugs, quite the opposite, but my opinion is a reasoned one. I haven't done anything 'hard' in well over 6 months. I haven't even smoked marijana within six months. However, I'm drinking alcohol right now.....

I say potheads shouldn't want drugs to be legalized. Right now they're cheap and easy to get. If legalized it would it be taxed and throw into the market system; but the government would regulate how much true substance goes into the final product. So people would be paying more for less quality.

That is absolutely not the case. Legalizing drugs would probably increase the quality of it at a lower price. It would be much easier to supply than it is now.

For instance, look at the distribution in California, better quality at a lower price.

You would also not have to worry about contamination and possible toxic byproducts that exist in some of the production methods in unprofessional labs.

I think the legalization of marijuana is possibly a smart move. Like The Shah said, it would relocate money from marijuana related stuff, plus the added tax income, to the truly terrible drugs like meth, which is huge in my community (90% of crimes here are linked to drugs, 80% of those are linked to meth). Marijuana isn't hurting our society as much as these other 'hard' drugs (though I still consider marijuana a 'hard' drug).

Again, this isn't necessarily my concrete stance on this issue, as I haven't really thought about it and I believe that all drugs (including alcohol and tobacco) are bad.