Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Wizard

Are We Alone?

The ongoing discussion, are there other forms of living beings in the universe? There have been many strage sighting over the years, some recorded, some rumor. Do you believe the videos of "UFO's", and the "interception of alien signals". Will we ever be invaded by liens, wil we ever see one, or are they all rumor?

If you heard one, would you know?

If you saw one, would you know?

If you knew one, would you know?

If you heard one, would you know?

If you saw one, would you know?

If you knew one, would you know?

If you were one would you know?

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. Carl Sagan

So yeah statistically speaking they are out there, some crawling under rocks, some with spears and I dare say a quantity might well be wandering around looking for opportunities to exploit.

The one thing I don't subscribe to is a race making it across the wide expanse of space and simply crashing into a conveniently placed desert in the middle of the last centuryPosted Image

With the size of the universe, there is no doubt other life out there. So far, we have only discovered one planet that could possibly support life as we know it, and it's in a star system that is 36 light-years away. With our current technology, it would take us 25,000 years to travel just 1 light-year, so that might not be too feasible to try to explore it just yet. Not only all that, but given the absolute astronomical impossibility of the existence of life as we know it came to be, it is not likely that the planet even has life.

With the size of the universe, there is no doubt other life out there. So far, we have only discovered one planet that could possibly support life as we know it, and it's in a star system that is 36 light-years away. With our current technology, it would take us 25,000 years to travel just 1 light-year, so that might not be too feasible to try to explore it just yet. Not only all that, but given the absolute astronomical impossibility of the existence of life as we know it came to be, it is not likely that the planet even has life.

Your forgetting about Gliesse 581 c and Gliesse 581 g. though they recieve far more radiation from their star, any life there could've adapted to a higher rad level. we just haven't confirmed life within 70 light years of Earth, it doesn't rule it out.

Oh and DW did they do terrible things to you on their ship? :P lol

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. Carl Sagan

So yeah statistically speaking they are out there, some crawling under rocks, some with spears and I dare say a quantity might well be wandering around looking for opportunities to exploit.

The one thing I don't subscribe to is a race making it across the wide expanse of space and simply crashing into a conveniently placed desert in the middle of the last centuryPosted Image

Well if their saucer was made by Ford that could be possible, we all know what F O R D stands for :P

Ford, builders of immense pieces of sugar since 1-01-5000 BC :P

Don't care about Ford. I love my Jeep

Don't care about Ford. I love my Jeep

My space vehicle of choice is a Chevy S-3000 flying disk :D

I thought everyone had read Carl Sagans Cosmos these days.

How can people ask the alien question after his summary? Is it a god/religious thing?

I thought everyone had read Carl Sagans Cosmos these days.

How can people ask the alien question after his summary? Is it a god/religious thing?

And all along I thought Drake and his equation settled the issue.... :P

Your forgetting about Gliesse 581 c and Gliesse 581 g. though they recieve far more radiation from their star, any life there could've adapted to a higher rad level. we just haven't confirmed life within 70 light years of Earth, it doesn't rule it out.

According to the same article I linked in my previous post (this one), I think you mean Gliese 581 d for being the other possible one. And then Gliese 581 g was apparently announced and then subsequently found to not exist. I misread that last part myself.

Of course these are just ones we can observe or use crazy math to find.

According to the same article I linked in my previous post (this one), I think you mean Gliese 581 d for being the other possible one. And then Gliese 581 g was apparently announced and then subsequently found to not exist. I misread that last part myself.

Of course these are just ones we can observe or use crazy math to find.

I really do mean Gliesse 581C http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1614620,00.html

:)

And all along I thought Drake and his equation settled the issue.... :P

Drake's equation exaggerated the figure, but given the vast size of the Universe, there's likely many other instances of life. It's possible that the Universe is even bigger than what we can see due to early inflation.

actually, using a nuclear pulse powered ship, a probe could travel 1 lightyear in about 70-120 years, the top cruise velocity that can theoretically be achieved by a thermonuclear starship is about 8% to 10% of the speed of light, which is about 1 lightyear in 10-15 years. unfortunately the comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty ended this research back in the 60's, plus, such a ship would use nearly the entire US GDP for one year to build if it was manned, and about a 10th if it was a probe

Shhhhs...all of you! The world is flat and the Sun revolves around us. If you say otherwise the big man in the sky will be mad :o

no need to rephrase the question

Q Are we alone?

A yes until it is revealed that we are not

Q Are we statistically alone in the universe?

A no

simples

No there are people around me ;)

no need to rephrase the question

Q Are we alone?

A yes until it is revealed that we are not

I like the quantum approach better: it is both until it is observed.

Q Are we statistically alone in the universe?

A no

simples

The great thing about probability is that each and every planet that could potentially support life might very well have life on it, or none at all. Rolling a trillion sixes in a row on a balanced six-sided dice is possible afterall. Heck, life itself is pretty much that already.

Edit: Stupid sexy Flanders.