Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Kochers

Kony 2012?

not that i agree with what the guy has done, but this has been going on for years, and nobody has given a rip, now all of a sudden everybody cares? He isn't even abducting kids anymore.

The Invisible Children group seems to be of the same type that prefers to spend a large amount of others peoples money and claim that they have done good deeds, while in fact they have done very little. This may not be the case but from what I have seen the leaders are using their Non-for profit organization to fuel their own desire for fame, egos etc...

I agree with DW. The public , Americans especially seems to have the attention span of a flea and in a couple of weeks there will be a new hot off the presses controversial topic for everyone to talk about and this will be forgotten.

do they even have the internet in the hills of uganda? and if they do would they really give a rats ass about what the decadent west thinks about their freedom fight? its just a way for people who believe themselves to be leftist to make a political stand on something "important to them" without actually having to do anything. "look at me, im active about world affairs and justice, but im late for my starbucks coffee"

I personally have known about the group for a long time because i actually had a foreign exchange guy from Uganda and he wore an invisible children t-shirt a while back. I agree that it is just another way for Americans to pretend they are involved/ actually care

Eh, some of the stuff said about Invisible Children isn't true. For instance, I've seen the statement that they only use "32% of their budget on actually helping people." But I've read their financial breakdown on the Charity Navigator website and they spend a lot more than 32% on their work. In fact, only 16% of their budget goes towards administrative costs. They also have a "three-pronged" approach to the issue, and they have devoted a whole page on their website to responding to their critiques. (http://www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html if you're interested)

That said, Invisible Children may be going about this whole thing in the wrong way. I just know that I've seen a lot of criticism directed towards them since the video went viral and I think a good amount of it is unfounded nonsense.

do they even have the internet in the hills of uganda? and if they do would they really give a rats ass about what the decadent west thinks about their freedom fight? its just a way for people who believe themselves to be leftist to make a political stand on something "important to them" without actually having to do anything. "look at me, im active about world affairs and justice, but im late for my starbucks coffee"

This man has it. I knew I liked you for some reason, EoB.

In short, there are a lot of problems in the world and this isn't the greatest of them. It's not even the greatest problem in the grander Ugandan/African conflict. If you have to stand behind something, find something better to stand behind. Something not quite so manipulative of emotions.

I don't think it'll make a difference.

The public forgets things after minutes. It's how crooked politicians keep getting elected.

Plus, the western governments don't give a rats ass about Africa anyway. Western colonialism of Africa caused half these problems anyway. Now, Africa's a hell hole and most of it is colonialism's fault if you look at history.

Biggest. Scam. Ever.

They are not even helping anyone. Directly or indirectly.

It's about as bad as Christian Children's Fund, though at least a very small portion of the money going to that black hole helps someone somewhere.

You are better off looking locally if you actually want to make some meaningful difference.

Biggest. Scam. Ever.

They are not even helping anyone. Directly or indirectly.

It's about as bad as Christian Children's Fund, though at least a very small portion of the money going to that black hole helps someone somewhere.

You are better off looking locally if you actually want to make some meaningful difference.

Actually, I hadn't seen anything about Kony2012 for quite a while before this topic started, so it has already died the media death. Sad really. I like the idea of bringing a cause to world notice in an attempt to help somehow. While I agree that it might not be the biggest issue going on, it certainly is a problem and it is one that people might even be able to help with. I applaud the idea/effort.

We could now go off on a tangent...

Now, Africa's a hell hole and most of it is colonialism's fault if you look at history.

Because it all worked so sweetly beforehand?

Edit - I happily have agreed with your 'Western governments don't care about Africa' comment, but then I saw this news report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17775211

Particularly the last paragraph.

It doesn't change much, but at least it shows willing ;)

Well, tonight (or was it supposed to be last night? all I remember from the propaganda video is 20 April) is supposed to be the day the people with the prepackaged "action kit" are supposed to do their thing with posters and whatever else is in it, so maybe there might be a blurb in the news tomorrow. Maybe. Hopefully not though, as it helps no one. Mass littering at best.

http://c2052482.r82.cf0.rackcdn.com/images/737/original/FY11-Audited%20Financial%20Statements.pdf?1320205055

If you want the direct link to their public financial report which as a charitable organization they are required to release.

While certainly most of their expenses aren't administrative, much of it goes towards advertising (specifically travel, film and production costs) and this is all self-audited so is very likely to be fudged.

More to the issue of Kony himself, the LRA and himself are no longer operational within Uganda and haven't been for years. As was stated before, he no longer abducts children for his militia and never did to the scale that Invisible Children would portray. Invisible Children also actively supports and funds the SPLA/UPDF (Sudan's Peoples Liberation Army) - an army that is just as bad as the LRA in terms of how they treat the citizens in their country and the surrounding area.