Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Scotia the Brave

First Nations Rights

What are people's opinions on the current status of the rights of First Nations (aka. Aboriginal/Native Americans) peoples. Are they getting fair treatment from governments in this day and age? Please discuss as I'm interested in people's thoughts.

Well, while I do believe they deserve the land, every empire got conquered at some point. It was not 'right' for us to take that land, but if they wanted to keep it they should have fought harder. It is never 'right' to take people's land but it happens everywhere. Now that they are integrated with society, then I see no reason why they should not have the same exact rights that everybody else does.

i think they should take down the reserves and just treat them as american citizens

Coming from a country with rampant racial inequalities, I would say that affirmative actions need to be stopped. We don't want a culture cultivating a crutch mentality amongst indigenous people. A quota system, priority treatment and etc stifles meritocracy, and through that hampers a country's growth. Natural selection allows the strong to survive and the weak to perish, as harsh as it sounds, the indigenous people need to work just as hard as everyone else to earn their keep.

i agree, no extra strives should be taken just because they were here first. If they had wanted the land they would have stopped appeasing the United States and came together to fight. just like throughout history the loser end up being in a place where they do not want to be. It was no different then then it is now

i agree, no extra strives should be taken just because they were here first. If they had wanted the land they would have stopped appeasing the United States and came together to fight. just like throughout history the loser end up being in a place where they do not want to be. It was no different then then it is now

First Nations tribes had bows and arrows. The European settlers had guns (muskets). If they'd fought back, all the natives would be extinct like the Beothuks in Newfoundland.

Well, again thats part of natural selection.

Well, again thats part of natural selection.

how can you be so cold about something like this?

A classic dilemma. What happened happened and can't be reversed, so what's to be done now? It's the same with languages. For example, in America (although this is an issue in plenty of other nations across the globe), do we make it the law for everyone to learn English? The humanitarian answer would seem to be "no, we can't force our culture upon them." This is legitimate, languages are becoming extinct all the time, a way of communication is lost forever. Just because it's natural selection doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't do something about it; after all, that's what medicine does. We don't just let the old and the sick die to purge them from society, that's one of the advantages to being a first-world nation, that we can afford and have the technology and the infrastructure to literally fight nature so we can hang on to our lives just a little longer. However, that exact same humanitarian argument has been used by dictators and totalitarian regimes all over the world to disadvantage other ethnic groups and maintain power for their own. In the name of tolerance and cultural respect, cruel leaders declare that they will preserve these languages. But the problem is, those languages keep those people down. They prevent them from competing in the global job market, they prevent them from entering "higher" classes, they prevent them from getting good jobs. In our case, English is currently the language of global trade. Learning it gives you access to numerous economical opportunities, and this will be true for a long time to come. Therefore, doesn't it seem to be the humanitarian thing to do to provide proper education in English to those who can't speak it here in America?

Are we preserving the culture and lifestyle of Native Americans? Perhaps. Are we also crippling them and in essence preventing them from ever entering our society on an equal economic footing? Absolutely.

My 2 cents. If anything came across as heartless or cruel in here you either read it wrong or (more likely) I failed to properly convey my argument, lol.

:)

Therefore, doesn't it seem to be the humanitarian thing to do to provide proper education in English to those who can't speak it here in America?

Are we preserving the culture and lifestyle of Native Americans? Perhaps. Are we also crippling them and in essence preventing them from ever entering our society on an equal economic footing? Absolutely.

in Canada, the culture and lifestyle is being preserved, while at the same time, first nations children are being educated in both english and their native languages.

Canada has its own problems, so I wouldn't go calling it the perfect solution just yet. ;)

For the ignorant Englishman, could anyone summarise what this whole "First Nation"/"Native American" thing is about?

First of all, not all Native American Tribes (USA), or First Nations Bands (In Canada) were conquered. The Tribe I belong to is the Samish Indian Nation; we signed a treaty giving up land to settlers in return for certain provisions. Some of them being the right to fish in our traditional territories, hunt on open lands, access to free health care, and access to free education, as well as some land set aside for them to live as they see fit. Not all tribes got land, mine is one of them

My ancestors decided this was better then trying to fight and maybe be destroyed in the process. The US government also felt is was better to have a treaty then to fight the Natives.

There were far more treaty's then there were battles.

Some tribes fought and lost, but also signed peace treaties that included health care, education and land.

These treaties were negotiated by representatives of the US government and ratified by Congress.

They did not have time limits as to how long the treaties needed to be honored, and in fact some had a clause that said as long as the wind blows and the grass grows this treaty shall be valid. (I paraphrased a little there).

So, while I don't believe in special treatment, I do believe that governments have to live up to the agreements they make.

but if they wanted to keep it they should have fought harder.

To quote some Victorian Englishman -

"Whatever happens we have got

The Gatling gun, and they have not"

So how can tribal groupings with no industry defeat Industrialised and more advanced nations?

But in all seriousness, the only reason it is an issue today is because there was a time when the nation's who signed treaties giving concessions to native/indigenous peoples either purposely ignored or forgotten (especially ones generations old before broken) about said treaties. Those who never had any treaties should not really have any reason for discourse. Everywhere, someone at sometime was conquered by someone and/or died off/merged with another. Even the peoples who were occupying the lands just before European colonists overran them were at one time conquerors or a couple different peoples altogether who merged together, and very likely many multiples of times. The peoples living the land 500 years ago were not likely the same peoples living there 700 years ago. The vast, vast majority of nations/empires/city-states/tribes/etc throughout history did not even last close to 200 years.