Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Sign in to follow this  
Kochers

Affordable Healthcare Act (aka Obamacare) SCOTUS ruling

If you haven't read the actual ruling (and not just what the media is saying about it) I urge you to do so here.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on the ruling? Anyone else surprised with Chief Roberts joining the liberals for the majority ruling in favor of the individual mandate?

I saw this yesterday on my way out. Wow! Chief Justice Roberts is a STUD! Plain and simple. Here you have arguably the most brilliant legal mind in the country throwing away his personal politics and doing the right thing! That right there should change a lot of opinions on Obamacare. Your opinion versus the opinion of a modern day Supreme Court Justice is always invalid. T'was a wonderful day to be an American. I think the ruling shows that the nation's political dialogue has been diluted so much that now everything is Conservationism vs. Liberalism. Roberts did not side with the liberals, he sided with the Founding Fathers and the Constitution, whom the liberals have just happened to be stewards for in these most recent years. The Affordable Healthcare Act is a good thing - maybe I won't benefit from it, maybe you won't benefit from it, but it's going to have a very positive effect on poor working-class people. Healthcare should not be a business. You have to make it available to everyone for the betterment of mankind.

I had a feeling Roberts sided with the Liberals to prevent his Court from being pigeonholed into one of the most conservative Courts in modern history. His ruling/line of logic does make sense but I'm surprised at how little the government argued on the "tax" point that ultimately pushed Roberts to side with the libs.

i read it and facepalm the supreme court. how can they be serious about forcing Americans to have health insurance. makes my blood boil some of that jazz. but i hope it wakes Americans up and kick out Obama and Congress and get people in there who can make Good changes

i read it and facepalm the supreme court. how can they be serious about forcing Americans to have health insurance. makes my blood boil some of that jazz. but i hope it wakes Americans up and kick out Obama and Congress and get people in there who can make Good changes

are you opposed to social security as well?

Sounds like they're trying to implement a system similar to the French one, whereby the entire population must pay for compulsory health insurance.

Not entirely sure how that's a bad thing, especially not since France has the best healthcare system in the world, and they spend half as much (per capita) on healthcare.

But anyway, surely the matter at hand was whether or not it was constitutional? And don't they have a duty to rule on that independantly of whether or not they think what they're ruling on is a good idea?

(And don't you also have to pay taxes? Isn't that you being forced to pay for things you might not want? At least this one saves lives.)

Well, the thing was, everyone presumed that Roberts would vote with the rest of the conservative wing, and Kennedy would end up being the swing vote. However, during the oral submissions, Kennedy was fairly skeptical and lots of pundits believed that he will vote alongside his conservative brethren and strike down the law. Then this happened. Kennedy DID vote alongside his conservative peers, but Roberts distinguished himself by voting with the liberals and upholding the law.