Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Michael Martin

Is There a God?

And who's forcing what on who?

Cut the hypocritical BS man...

Every religious person should be burned alive. They are only evil, and their hearts are black and their blood is purple.

I AM RIGHT! I KNOW! YOU DON'T!

Every atheist/Agnostic should be thrown into a pit and have an H-Bomb dropped on em.

They have done nothing but make life hell for us.

I'M RIGHT!!! I KNOW I AM!! ;)

Every religious person should be burned alive. They are only evil, and their hearts are black and their blood is purple.

Man,my grandma throws the grains(? want to say remaining parts of bread that fall after you cut it with hand or mouth) to the birds because otherwise she thinks she is over-spending(hm..weird words).She also gives most of her money in charities etc yet she is Orthodox Christian and visits church twice EVERY day.

Little grasshopper you have much to learn yet!

btw,what is "BS"?

I believe theres a god if you dont believe cool

But Id rather Believe theres a god and find out there isnt than too not believe and figure out there is

That sounds oddly like something a Christian would say. The truth is you don't know any more than the rest of us, you just think you do.

the bible is the most proven document of religous activity known, no other religon has as many references to rel people, eye witnesses or books written by so many trustworthy authors of that time. the christian religion has been copied and changed to fit many othetr religons, for if you take the islamic religon, you would see many simularities between the two religous documents

This seems to be flaming and not actually an argument for or against ;)

wow, i just noticed, that the post that i quoted, was posted on my birthday

This seems to be flaming and not actually an argument for or against ;)

That's Lai, and that's why we love him. :)

Besides, you missed the content of his post. He was making a point, not actually posting what he believed.

the bible is the most proven document of religous activity known, no other religon has as many references to rel people, eye witnesses or books written by so many trustworthy authors of that time. the christian religion has been copied and changed to fit many othetr religons, for if you take the islamic religon, you would see many simularities between the two religous documents

Christianity is an amalgamation of many different religions and philosophies and many of the stories and parables contained within the Christian Bible are more-or-less rehashed stories from older civilizations which were adapted and edited to fit with the religion. It, then, shouldn't really be a surprise when so many references are found in one religious text. It would be as if someone in the distant future found a copy of Time magazine (maybe not the best analogy but bear with me) and read some of the stories about real people from today in there. Even in the modern day, that particular text is still evolving with every new denomination formed.

I struggle with religion. I was raised as a southern Baptists and taught the Bible and such. As a teen I thought more and more about a God's existence. I've personally seen no miracles or signs of a supreme being. I've only been led to have blind faith which I find very difficult. I'm almost and in-the-closest atheist but my whole family believes I still believe. I never understood how if God could do anything like create the universe and see the future, how could he not instantly stop evil and Satan. Why would babies and people not exposed to Christianity go to hell if they had no way of knowing of his word? These are questions I cannot find the answer to.

Not in the traditional sense. Many people think that a god would have to be a being deeply involved in everything. However, there is a huge realm of possibilities that at some point right at the spark of the universe, there was some intelligence at work. This intelligence would likely be as a sort of onlooker, an observer admiring the universe. There is a good Futurama episode that deals with something like this. Bender is left drifting in space and somehow he plays god to lifeforms that somehow live on his back. Unfortunately, his meddling disturbs the balance and the life ends up destroying itself. In his drifting Bender meets an entity that is god, a distant observer, the oldest life.

@Blitz: That is one of the great struggles in Deism (the belief of a supreme being that is involved rather than observer).  Evil has to be there because humans can't have freedom of choice and freedom to love this god or not, without there being some other choice i.e. the choice to do evil.  The question for me is "how come so much evil"?   And why would this god want to give us freedom of choice or not?  What if the whole purpose of human beings in the first place was to worship this god, when worship does not mean animal or other sacrifice, but rather crediting or ascribing worth to this god?

@Puppier: Futurama is deep, but not that deep :)  The Simpsons and South Park like to poke fun at the idea of a god and religion too, don't they?

I have nothing against organized religion.  As long as it's not too organized or too religious :)

I struggle with religion. I was raised as a southern Baptists and taught the Bible and such. As a teen I thought more and more about a God's existence. I've personally seen no miracles or signs of a supreme being. I've only been led to have blind faith which I find very difficult. I'm almost and in-the-closest atheist but my whole family believes I still believe. I never understood how if God could do anything like create the universe and see the future, how could he not instantly stop evil and Satan. Why would babies and people not exposed to Christianity go to hell if they had no way of knowing of his word? These are questions I cannot find the answer to.

I suggest you read Blankets by Craig Thompson. It's a very good graphic novel. The author struggled with exactly the same question.

A car can not say there is no engineer, no machinist, no mechanic.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of analogy you're trying to draw here.

On which day did 'god' create the tapeworm? One of David Attenborough's better questions

Well can matter be created and destroyed?

Not usually, unless you converted it to energy, if I recall from high school science correctly (but my memory on this is rusty at best so ...) Even then, the laws of the conservation of energy would apply. Either way, I'm still missing the point ...

Not usually, unless you converted it to energy, if I recall from high school science correctly (but my memory on this is rusty at best so ...) Even then, the laws of the conservation of energy would apply. Either way, I'm still missing the point ...

We live in a world with set parameters and natural law.  The law of thermodynamics and it's second law entropy is a great example of how the universe works as a system and much like a machine powered by the sun.  Everything contained within the universe are subsystems even the human body works like that except human beings having emotions and reasoning.  

We live in a world with set parameters and natural law.  The law of thermodynamics and it's second law entropy is a great example of how the universe works as a system and much like a machine powered by the sun.  Everything contained within the universe are subsystems even the human body works like that except human beings having emotions and reasoning.  

OK ... But how does that relate to the existence of god/s? I feel like I'm missing the punchline somewhere.

OK ... But how does that relate to the existence of god/s? I feel like I'm missing the punchline somewhere.

A painting does not paint itself.

Now we know how the Egyptians built the pyramids ^ lol

A painting does not paint itself.

Okaaay ... pyramid complete!