• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

• Nation Link:[ Link ]
  • Nation Ruler:none
  • Nation Name:none

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:37 PM - 076041

I dislike topics like this because they lack definition.

Define what you mean by god. An omnipotent, omniscient being? A force of the universe and nature? An idea? Secondly, people have a hard time releasing the concept of god from religion. When we talk about god we immediately assume positions of religion and insert copious amounts of bias. Religion was built AROUND the idea of a god so try to deconstruct that before entering into a debate about the existence of a god. Worse still, then the whole thread devolves into factioning between science and religion with both sides just slinging things about rather than entering into a discussion. Science says, "we need facts" and religion says "you need faith". Quite honestly this is all circular, so try to break yourself from these rhythms and look at these things objectively eh?

#42 SirMoose

SirMoose

Experienced member

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

• Nation Ruler:SirMoose
  • Nation Name:Mooseworks

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:48 PM - 076042

It is obvious to me that many of you dabble haphazardly in religion, philosophy and science and have decided that you are now experts. I'd set you all straight, but I don't have the time right now (because the answers are easily misunderstood without further explanation and many times the explanations need explanations)and I doubt most of you would listen anyway.

I'll just keep it simple. There is a God. I know Him personally. You'll meet Him eventually.

#43 Sealbhach

Sealbhach

Oink Oink

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

• Nation Ruler:Sealbhach
  • Nation Name:Banba

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:32 PM - 076043

I'll just keep it simple. There is a God. I know Him personally. You'll meet Him eventually.

I agree with you, but I'm uncertain as to whether God has a gender,

#44 Michael Martin

Michael Martin

Former Military Operations Commander

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

• Nation Ruler:Michael Martin
  • Nation Name:Noranea

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:52 AM - 076044

It is obvious to me that many of you dabble haphazardly in religion, philosophy and science and have decided that you are now experts. I'd set you all straight, but I don't have the time right now (because the answers are easily misunderstood without further explanation and many times the explanations need explanations)and I doubt most of you would listen anyway.

That sounds oddly like something a Christian would say. The truth is you don't know any more than the rest of us, you just think you do.

#45 Defender of Liberty

Defender of Liberty

Director of Social Interaction

• Immortal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

• Nation Ruler:Defender of Liberty
  • Nation Name:The Asatru Republic

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:20 AM - 076045

If you keep adding or subtracting numbers you'll never stop; you can always add or subtract one more. We call this infinity. I also apply the concept of infinity to time and space. The universe is infinitely large and time has no beginning or end.
Why are we here? I don't know. But I do know that humans are social animals and therefore, in my opinion; it is the selfless person who cares about others that is good, and the selfish person who doesn't who is evil. Of course I realize that we all reside somewhere between these extremes and admit I often struggle with my own ego, wishing I was a more loving person.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't need a God.
I get by with a little help from my friends. :)

#46 Edmund Allenby

Edmund Allenby

Resistence is Futile!

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

• Nation Ruler:Edmund Allenby
  • Nation Name:Jezreel Pass

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:56 AM - 076046

EDITED: Cool head prevailed and besides It's 3:48 AM, am half asleep and in no condition to post :P

#47 frankdolf

frankdolf

Banned

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

• Nation Ruler:frankdolf
  • Nation Name:morskov

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:29 PM - 076047

The universe was sneezed out of the nose of the Great Green Arkleseizure. Repent before the coming of the great white handkerchief

#48 Michael Martin

Michael Martin

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:15 PM - 076048

LOL

#49 Lysandros

Lysandros

Advanced Member

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:45 AM - 076049

My 3.86 cents:

Whether I believe in God or not is neither here no there. There is a chance that my belief is wrong and a chance that my belief is right, it's not necessarily true.

However what I do think, is that religion was built up over the human fear of death. Over the millenia people have needed to think that there is a higher power that will help them avoid famine an other natural disasters. Over time intelligent people saw it as a way of conreciting poetry people (heaven/hell) and manipulated people into giving them money and following their orders.

I will just quote something that sounded nice: "Man can live without god but not without religion".Religion was created over the fear of death and more.Conreciting poetry it for personal benefit was also a reason.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? Thats all im am going to say -_-

Image removed - Hurhur, let's keep this civil.

Christianity is considered a nice explanation of God.What Christians don't understand though is that God is not only described by the new bible but by the old one simultaneously.God is good AND bad.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

more Einstien qoutes...........

as for the Bible debate , a reputable oceanographer found thousands of coral formations that look a heck of a lot like chariots (wood rots , metal rusts , coral grows on something and stays) across the "land bridge" (about 100 ft deep straight across((the rest is a mile or so deep)) in the Red Sea.

PS cant forget this one from ole uncle Albert.....

"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."

Its quite easy to understand the meaning of taxes! Draw a circle and try to draw 3 parallel lines all having 1 point in common with the circle and it will be clear.

More seriously,what did einstain knew more than all the others describing God so I will believe him? So I wouldn't use such quotes to support my sayings even though I agree with all of them.

Do you think you could find something to back this up? I'd like to read an article or two, or anything you might have. :)

And I do not see why science would need religion, do you?

Man from his nature is a social being.From his nature he is also limited.Without religion people(not you) would have perhaps less morals,if any.Wouldn't that make science something that humans should not deal with?So science needs to be limited not to what it might find but to what it might try to find.

Firstly, I was an atheist then i realized i AM god.

but jokes aside...

in a nutshell, the universe has too much matter and energy to be concentrated in a singularity, the big bang is the result of all matter in the universe being in a singularity for probably millionths of a microsecond, as it is too unstable to be sustained for any period of time past that. so the big bang is a relatively short event that is brought on by the universe collapsing on itself.

you may ask,'but the universe is slowly expanding' laws of physics 101, will a gas not diffuse to where it is least dense iin order to 'pan out?'

yes, the universe may exibit this behavior, its simple physics, but in order for there to be a big bang, there needs to be a bigt collapse, if its expanding how does this happen?

black holes, at the center of each galaxy, there exists a super massive black hole with the strength to keep trillions of stars and planets in its gravity well for billions of years, and we already know that any regular star can supernova and create a new black hole, but what would happen when the universe is aged enough, and more and mroe black holes form and current ones grow?

the universe, essentially would begin to draw itself back in, physics dictate so, as does logic. thus the universe, in my oppinion, collapses back into singularity, and poof, another big bang.

^my theory on the subject

as far as a GOD goes, well it could be that everything is his plan, it could be he created everything and were jsut chance and need to make the best of it ourselves...

but anyone who says god will guide me and does nothing is a fool, should look upon it as if god empowered you to do what he would through your own actions.

yup, thats right, universe repeats itself over and over, jsut like the cylons and the reapers in mass effect.

I agree with you on the universe and its revolution and was thinking of the exact same things(black holes).The most perfect mechanism we have seen is the universe.The most perfect shape is the circle.None knows their end nor their beginning but the general concept.

Being greek does not make me bias or something but ancient philosophers did a good job.What I recalled concerning "but anyone who says god will guide me and does nothing is a fool" is the saying: "Sun Athina kai xeira kinei" which translates to "Along with Athena,move your hand".That was referring to a sailor whose ship was sunk.Desperate he was and he prayed to Athena(god of wisdom) to save him.Its seems God(s) cannot do everything but without them wouldn't we try to not drown in the mid of the ocean but in the end fail?

You miss my point. I understand that the universe may repeat it self by the theory of the big bang, but that process had to start at some point. How? When? What caused it, and where did the materials come from?

There is no logical start to anything, which is the problem.

Just look around you and you will find most of the answers.I don't know what Einstein said but what Da Vinci did was to study nature and you saw how ahead of his time he was! Why does water,when at 4 degrees Cel. is the "heaviest"? Why bees at their nests make hexagonal cells? Why rain drops have their shape? Nature,gents and ladies,is smart and economical! Circle has the smallest perimeter for its area,hexagon has the biggest area for its perimeter.Contradicting? Tottaly.Most if not everything should be.So instead of finding how the system began find how it will end.

Most wise:

The universe was sneezed out of the nose of the Great Green Arkleseizure. Repent before the coming of the great white handkerchief

#50 Edmund Allenby

Edmund Allenby

Resistence is Futile!

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:35 PM - 076050

Is there a God as the Christians tell us? No.
Is there a God as any other religion tells us? No, not really.

Is there a possibility that some superior being exists? Yes, there is. But most likely that superior being will be a member of another race. Or the whole race, it doesn't have to be just one.

Were we created by someone? It doesn't matter. Your life is what you make it.

Sums up what I think.

And who's forcing what on who?

Cut the hypocritical BS man...

#51 Lailander

Lailander

• Former Member
  • 2,874 posts

• Nation Ruler:Lailander the Lame
  • Nation Name:Efladim

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:28 AM - 076051

And who's forcing what on who?

Cut the hypocritical BS man...

Every religious person should be burned alive. They are only evil, and their hearts are black and their blood is purple.

I AM RIGHT! I KNOW! YOU DON'T!

#52 Edmund Allenby

Edmund Allenby

Resistence is Futile!

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:55 AM - 076052

Every atheist/Agnostic should be thrown into a pit and have an H-Bomb dropped on em.
They have done nothing but make life hell for us.

I'M RIGHT!!! I KNOW I AM!! ;)

#53 Michael Martin

Michael Martin

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:29 AM - 076053

How rude...

#54 Lysandros

Lysandros

Advanced Member

• Forum User
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:09 PM - 076054

Every religious person should be burned alive. They are only evil, and their hearts are black and their blood is purple.

Man,my grandma throws the grains(? want to say remaining parts of bread that fall after you cut it with hand or mouth) to the birds because otherwise she thinks she is over-spending(hm..weird words).She also gives most of her money in charities etc yet she is Orthodox Christian and visits church twice EVERY day.

Little grasshopper you have much to learn yet!

btw,what is "BS"?

#55 Pimpdawgy

Pimpdawgy

Experienced member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

• Nation Ruler:Pimpdawgy
  • Nation Name:Killeros

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:46 PM - 076055

I believe theres a god if you dont believe cool

But Id rather Believe theres a god and find out there isnt than too not believe and figure out there is

#56 General Ackbar

General Ackbar

The Brigade Executive Officer

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• Nation Ruler:genackbar
  • Nation Name:Hillshire

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:24 AM - 076056

That sounds oddly like something a Christian would say. The truth is you don't know any more than the rest of us, you just think you do.

the bible is the most proven document of religous activity known, no other religon has as many references to rel people, eye witnesses or books written by so many trustworthy authors of that time. the christian religion has been copied and changed to fit many othetr religons, for if you take the islamic religon, you would see many simularities between the two religous documents

#57 Impact Strafe

Impact Strafe

Should be AC by now

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

• Nation Ruler:Impact Strafe
  • Nation Name:Aletho

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:52 AM - 076057

This seems to be flaming and not actually an argument for or against ;)

#58 General Ackbar

General Ackbar

The Brigade Executive Officer

• Forum User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• Nation Ruler:genackbar
  • Nation Name:Hillshire

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:56 AM - 076058

wow, i just noticed, that the post that i quoted, was posted on my birthday

#59 Kajdav

Kajdav

Resident Devil's Advocate

• Former Member
  • 2,717 posts

• Nation Ruler:Kajdav
  • Nation Name:Kajdav

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:37 AM - 076059

This seems to be flaming and not actually an argument for or against ;)

That's Lai, and that's why we love him. :)

Besides, you missed the content of his post. He was making a point, not actually posting what he believed.

#60 Fizzex

Fizzex

That One Dude

• A.M.G.C. Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

• Nation Ruler:none
  • Nation Name:none

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:17 AM - 076060

the bible is the most proven document of religous activity known, no other religon has as many references to rel people, eye witnesses or books written by so many trustworthy authors of that time. the christian religion has been copied and changed to fit many othetr religons, for if you take the islamic religon, you would see many simularities between the two religous documents

Christianity is an amalgamation of many different religions and philosophies and many of the stories and parables contained within the Christian Bible are more-or-less rehashed stories from older civilizations which were adapted and edited to fit with the religion. It, then, shouldn't really be a surprise when so many references are found in one religious text. It would be as if someone in the distant future found a copy of Time magazine (maybe not the best analogy but bear with me) and read some of the stories about real people from today in there. Even in the modern day, that particular text is still evolving with every new denomination formed.