• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

• Nation Link:[ Link ]
  • Nation Ruler:scotia the brave
  • Nation Name:Scotia the Brave

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:28 PM - 080371

Just thought I'd post this as it's an interesting subject to debate in this time of bullying being out of control in schools today:

Three Nova Scotia high schools are offering a full credit Academic class called "Martial Arts 11". My old high school was the 2nd school to bring in the course, and I found that half the kids who took it were the bullied nerds, while the other half were tough kids who wanted an excuse to legally practise fighting in school.

Do you think these classes are a good idea? or are they a recipe for making bullying worse?

Please note though that Nova Scotia now has one of the most draconian anti-bullying laws on the planet as of a few months ago, a law that was passed by all 3 political parties with no votes against.

#2 tony2456

tony2456

The Tiger who guardeth ze Puffin

• Immortal Member
  • 2,219 posts

• Nation Ruler:tony2456
  • Nation Name:Republic of Antonia

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:47 PM - 080372

Generally speaking, martial arts are a good way to instill respect, discipline and of course self-defense skills into kids. Of course, bullies could possibly use it too, but it's very different from your usual thug style fights and not something you take to unless you are willing to submit to the background principles of martial arts. And, of course, I don't need to restate the fact that the "bullied nerds" should gain more confidence and self-respect, not to mention the ability to defend themselves.

#3 Scotia the Brave

Scotia the Brave

former Secretary General

• Former Member
  • 4,204 posts

• Nation Ruler:scotia the brave
  • Nation Name:Scotia the Brave

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:35 PM - 080373

Generally speaking, martial arts are a good way to instill respect, discipline and of course self-defense skills into kids. Of course, bullies could possibly use it too, but it's very different from your usual thug style fights and not something you take to unless you are willing to submit to the background principles of martial arts. And, of course, I don't need to restate the fact that the "bullied nerds" should gain more confidence and self-respect, not to mention the ability to defend themselves.

I saw some nerds become bullies after taking the class.

Another case I saw was when a nerdy friend of mine and his bully both took the class at the same time and then they had a huge street fight at the end of year, 4 months after finishing the class.

#4 bgorre1013

bgorre1013

Should be government by now

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

• NDT Link:[ Link ]

• Nation Ruler:bgorre1013
  • Nation Name:2nd try

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:58 PM - 080374

I don't think nerds would take the class in the first place, so it probably wont help their situation.

#5 Zygon

Zygon

Puffin God Father

• Immortal Member
  • 2,485 posts
  • IRC Nick:Zygon1

• Nation Ruler:1043447
  • Nation Name:Zygon

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:19 AM - 080375

I think even though bulling is bad this makes matters worse for the Victims of bulling.

#6 Kharn

Kharn

The Lord of Blood

• Immortal Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

• Nation Ruler:Kharn420
  • Nation Name:The Lands of Blood

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:57 AM - 080376

Alright, I don't think a Martial Arts class is going to stop bullying NOR do I think its causing bullying. Martial Arts to me, is no more violent than football or hockey and yet these sports get a free pass. Kids are going to fight regardless of this program in affect or not. In the end, it comes down to teachers and parents teaching and discipline the kids correctly.

So I would support the program, assuming it was taught correctly.