• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts

• Nation Link:[ Link ]
  • Nation Ruler:Dark Wizard
  • Nation Name:New Carnoly

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:32 AM - 081881

My true passion is politics. It is what I intend to major on it college, it is what I hope to get a job with upon my completion of college, and it is how I fill my little spare time. I began my life following in my parents footsteps as a Democrat, and didn't really question it much until recently. Once I turned 18 this year though I began to feel a new urge to break away from my parents politically. I remembered watching Ron Paul in 2012 and really finding him intriguing, so I took a few quizzes online to see if my views were compatible with his and they were surprisingly close. I began to research the Libertarian Party and read Dr. Paul's books. I must admit, prior to my reading I was never really educated in the major topics of today's politics, but after reading them and doing extracurricular research I feel that the real uneducated ones are the politicians sitting in Washington.  I know that Ron Paul is a hit or miss with most Americans so  wanted to see what you all thought about him. For those that dislike him, I want to know exactly why. I question why anybody can dislike a person who is advocating the governing body of the United States solely. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and I urge you all to read his books no matter where you are politically. Very interesting reads!

#2 Member Berry

Member Berry

Member Alderaan? Member the Cold War?

• Former Member
  • 2,914 posts
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal

• Nation Ruler:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:44 AM - 081882

Some1 gave a link political party questionnaire recently.  when i took it i got somewhere around the 80s range with the Libertarian Party.  Tbh i think he is a little bit old but honestly that really doesn't play a factor i don't think he is that bad.  Politics for most politicians is an entirely different life,  you make hate your opponent during the debate but outside of that you can get along just fine.  ex Bush and Obama, they have differing viewpoints but honestly when they are seen together they do not seem like they hate one another.  You can't really see what a politician is like because what he is showing is his political life so you can "hate" his politics unless you actually met him or her before

(sorry i just felt like writing something)  

#3 Kochers

Kochers

Always here

• Chief Justice
  • 3,811 posts
  • IRC Nick:Kochers[NADC]

• NDT Link:[ Link ]

• Nation Ruler:Coker
  • Nation Name:Kochers

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:39 AM - 081883

Ron Paul is an interesting guy. During the GOP primary, I took a quiz which put him as my third choice, after first Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich. I will say, one thing I really liked about Ron Paul was his stance on abortion. If nothing else, I think it demonstrates his commitment to his principles. For as libertarian as he is, to continue to hold such a conservative position on a major social issue says much about his character.

#4 United Martini

United Martini

The Romantic From A Lost Generation

• Supernova X
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

• Nation Ruler:Ryan Thomas IV
  • Nation Name:United Martini

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:29 PM - 081884

A lot of college boys love the guy. But then they also love Ayn Rand and her Objectivism at that age.

#5 Mad_Pirates

Mad_Pirates

Randomness

• Forum Admin
  • 1,981 posts

• Nation Ruler:woosh
  • Nation Name:Mad_Pirates

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:46 AM - 081885

US politics focuses too much on people rather than the ideas they represent, as it should be.

Although our multi-party system is much better there (Netherlands), it is still somewhat weak imo.

That said, I have not too much of an idea about what he represents but libertarian does make it sound like he's closer to liberalism (classic liberalism).

And even if nothing else, pretty much anything that weakens the hold of the 2-party system on the US would be a good thing.

ESPECIALLY considering how it's used currently (i.e.: just block everything your opponent tries to accomplish)

#6 Astro

Astro

Citizen

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

• Nation Ruler:MrAstro34
  • Nation Name:Valorum Center

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:35 AM - 081886

I agree with Dr. Paul on three things:  A non-interventionist U.S. policy, the idea that government should have no role in marriage, and that the government should not have unrestricted access to trample on civil liberties a la the NSA.

His nickname "Dr. No" is one of the biggest issues that there are in Washington today.  Everyone is so caught up in hot rhetoric and sticking to paid for by corporations principles (thanks SCOTUS) that they forget they are there to actually govern.  Its fine and dandy to heavily advocate and believe a certain policy but when it comes down to it there must be people willing to compromise and work together to advance the interests of the U.S.

I won't go into every single position he holds and why I disagree with it, but the following should give a hint as to why I disagree with him:

"There is only one solution that will lead to true health and true freedom: making health care more affordable.  Ron Paul believes that only true free market competition will put pressure on the providers and force them to lower their costs to remain in business."

This is flawed because an unregulated free market will lead to even further exploitation of the common person.  As it is with little intervention from the government in contrast to Great Britain and France people are literally dying and being buried by debt from healthcare costs.  Companies are for profit organizations that will almost always cut corners and exploit the people as much as possible to make as much money as they possibly can.

"The incentive to take a job at whatever wage available must prevail."

Again, corporate greed stands in the way of abolishing minimum wage.  How is it that in the grandest country on Earth a person can dedicate 40 hours a week working full time and still have starving children?  Take a look at Australia as an example of how the minimum wage does not harm the economy.

The Civil Rights act of 1964 were a "massive violation of private property and contract, which are the bedrocks of a free society." according to Dr. Paul.

Being a liberal I champion the right to vote, pro choice, and marriage equality and its associated rights as far as social issues go.

I disagree with him on more than just that, but I'm not going to write my stance on every policy.  I hope the above gives a fairly clear view of my thoughts on him.

#7 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Nation Ruler:lonzomac
  • Nation Name:Mushugga

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:44 PM - 081887

I personally have a man crush on Dr. Paul. It's rare to see a politician in America that actually holds their own views and champions them the way that he does. In return the media makes him out to be crazy or racist in the same way they did with Ralph Nader, basically putting him to the side like he isn't to be taken seriously. In this country you're expected to be one party or another and both are extremely liberal or extremely conservative and end up representing nobody. Ron Paul's policies would help to make the US strong again economically by cutting off aid to useless allies, putting a stop to the free trade that China is using to slowly kill us, and cutting ties with Israel which has contributed nothing to us besides making us the devil of the world.

#8 Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard

Lailander

• Associate Justice
  • 6,074 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:33 AM - 081888

I personally have a man crush on Dr. Paul. It's rare to see a politician in America that actually holds their own views and champions them the way that he does. In return the media makes him out to be crazy or racist in the same way they did with Ralph Nader, basically putting him to the side like he isn't to be taken seriously. In this country you're expected to be one party or another and both are extremely liberal or extremely conservative and end up representing nobody. Ron Paul's policies would help to make the US strong again economically by cutting off aid to useless allies, putting a stop to the free trade that China is using to slowly kill us, and cutting ties with Israel which has contributed nothing to us besides making us the devil of the world.

I agree especially with the bolded part. The media tends to like to polarize and be over dramatic when it comes to politics. Everything is made to be a story, so when we have the "least productive Congress ever" it's a negative story, but when bills are passed, its a negative story. When somebody falls outside of the big government or free market norms, they are chastised and made to look like a wing nut.

I agree with Dr. Paul on three things:  A non-interventionist U.S. policy, the idea that government should have no role in marriage, and that the government should not have unrestricted access to trample on civil liberties a la the NSA.

His nickname "Dr. No" is one of the biggest issues that there are in Washington today.  Everyone is so caught up in hot rhetoric and sticking to paid for by corporations principles (thanks SCOTUS) that they forget they are there to actually govern.  Its fine and dandy to heavily advocate and believe a certain policy but when it comes down to it there must be people willing to compromise and work together to advance the interests of the U.S.

I won't go into every single position he holds and why I disagree with it, but the following should give a hint as to why I disagree with him:

"There is only one solution that will lead to true health and true freedom: making health care more affordable.  Ron Paul believes that only true free market competition will put pressure on the providers and force them to lower their costs to remain in business."

This is flawed because an unregulated free market will lead to even further exploitation of the common person.  As it is with little intervention from the government in contrast to Great Britain and France people are literally dying and being buried by debt from healthcare costs.  Companies are for profit organizations that will almost always cut corners and exploit the people as much as possible to make as much money as they possibly can.

"The incentive to take a job at whatever wage available must prevail."

Again, corporate greed stands in the way of abolishing minimum wage.  How is it that in the grandest country on Earth a person can dedicate 40 hours a week working full time and still have starving children?  Take a look at Australia as an example of how the minimum wage does not harm the economy.

The Civil Rights act of 1964 were a "massive violation of private property and contract, which are the bedrocks of a free society." according to Dr. Paul.

Being a liberal I champion the right to vote, pro choice, and marriage equality and its associated rights as far as social issues go.

I disagree with him on more than just that, but I'm not going to write my stance on every policy.  I hope the above gives a fairly clear view of my thoughts on him.

I believe there is a misconception about him being racist. I am of course all in favor for equal rights to every minority, gender, and sexual orientation, but with that being said I do feel there is some intrusion and reverse racism in the bill. I understand why it was passed back in the day because the attitude toward minorities needed to change, and the law had to chaperon that change. At this point in time though, even with racism still present, I believe that it is not needed for a fair and equal society. An example I like to draw from is lets say there is a small business in your area that is racist and they decide to not hire any African Americans and they refuse to serve them as well. they would most certainly lose my business, because I think that is disgusting. They would also lose others business. Somebody would end up posting it on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, or something else and it would go national in hours. The business would be forced to be accepting without the government breathing down its back. I believe it is much healthier for a business and economy to self regulate then to have the government regulate it. Obviously though, everybody has their own opinions, and I'm not here to change them :) Also, please note I am in no way racist :D

US politics focuses too much on people rather than the ideas they represent, as it should be.

Although our multi-party system is much better there (Netherlands), it is still somewhat weak imo.

That said, I have not too much of an idea about what he represents but libertarian does make it sound like he's closer to liberalism (classic liberalism).

And even if nothing else, pretty much anything that weakens the hold of the 2-party system on the US would be a good thing.

ESPECIALLY considering how it's used currently (i.e.: just block everything your opponent tries to accomplish)

Well to be honest I am focused on the person because nobody else is talking about the issues that Dr. Paul is raising. That said, I do agree that in the US it is more about the character than the policies. 

A lot of college boys love the guy. But then they also love Ayn Rand and her Objectivism at that age.

The young people are the heart of the Libertarian movement. 

Ron Paul is an interesting guy. During the GOP primary, I took a quiz which put him as my third choice, after first Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich. I will say, one thing I really liked about Ron Paul was his stance on abortion. If nothing else, I think it demonstrates his commitment to his principles. For as libertarian as he is, to continue to hold such a conservative position on a major social issue says much about his character.

I agree with that analysis. What makes it even better is that he acknowledges there is another side of the debate. Unlike others on both sides of the aisle that only focus on their side of the issue and pretend another side doesn't exist. 

Some1 gave a link political party questionnaire recently.  when i took it i got somewhere around the 80s range with the Libertarian Party.  Tbh i think he is a little bit old but honestly that really doesn't play a factor i don't think he is that bad.  Politics for most politicians is an entirely different life,  you make hate your opponent during the debate but outside of that you can get along just fine.  ex Bush and Obama, they have differing viewpoints but honestly when they are seen together they do not seem like they hate one another.  You can't really see what a politician is like because what he is showing is his political life so you can "hate" his politics unless you actually met him or her before

(sorry i just felt like writing something)  

Fair enough assessment. Most people call the United States citizens Republicrats because we all end up in the same place or pretty mich so anyways. Bush and Obama are quite similar when you look deeper. While they have different rhetoric, it is all the same in the end, expanding the government. While that might not be the intentions, it happens. 

#9 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:24 PM - 081889

If you haven't checked them out already, I recommend checking out. Zeitgeist: The Movie and Zeitgeist: Addendum. Interesting information and viewpoints.

#10 Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard

Lailander

• Associate Justice
  • 6,074 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:45 AM - 0818810

If you haven't checked them out already, I recommend checking out. Zeitgeist: The Movie and Zeitgeist: Addendum. Interesting information and viewpoints.

On what if I may ask :D

#11 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:09 PM - 0818811

Politics, religion, the economic system, technology etc.

#12 Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard

Lailander

• Associate Justice
  • 6,074 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:57 PM - 0818812

Politics, religion, the economic system, technology etc.

are they anti establishment?

#13 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:27 PM - 0818813

I wouldn't say so much as anti establishment. It's more or less a documentary covering those subjects from a truthful angle. Lots of the information I picked up from it I had no idea about especially the technology aspect and clean energy projects. As far as politics it doesn't promote either party but shows their similarities.

#14 Aurelius

Aurelius

The Blue Man

• Forum Admin
  • 3,949 posts
  • IRC Nick:Aurelius

• Nation Ruler:Aurelius
  • Nation Name:Cenk Uygur

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:31 PM - 0818814

Out of interest, do you still happen to have that quiz? I'm quite interested to see which Republican I would have been most in sync with from 2012.