Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Scotia the Brave

Mass Shooting in Moncton, NB

Right now:

-the police are still looking for the bastard

-all moncton schools are closed

-moncton's daily newspaper is reporting life-and-death info behind a $20/mth paywall and angry citizens are protesting that the info should be public, at least today.

-moncton is by far the safest city in atlantic canada. a shooting there is practically unheard of and the locals are known to be incredibly friendly. Readers Digest even named Moncton the most honest city in north america a couple years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-shooting-3-rcmp-officers-dead-2-wounded-1.2665359

Moncton shooting: 3 RCMP officers dead, 2 wounded
RCMP searching for Justin Bourque, 24, and consider him 'armed and dangerous'

CBC News Posted: Jun 04, 2014 9:04 PM AT Last Updated: Jun 05, 2014 5:24 AM AT

New Brunswick RCMP have confirmed that three officers were shot and killed and two other officers were wounded by a heavily armed gunman Wednesday evening in Moncton.

A police manhunt is still underway for Justin Bourque, 24. The RCMP say Bourque is considered "armed and dangerous."

Paul Greene, an RCMP spokesman, said Bourque was last seen in the wooded area near the Pinehurst subdivision. Police are asking people to keep their doors locked and leave their outdoor lights on.

RCMP Const. Damien Theriault could not say how many police officers were involved in the manhunt.

Theriault, visibly emotional during a news conference, asked the public not to disclose any information about the police operation or locations of officers on social media.

One witness near the scene of the shooting told CBC News he saw one officer bleeding from a wound toward the top of her head.

The witness said the RCMP rushed her away in a police cruiser. Hospital staff confirmed some of the victims arrived at the hospital in police cars.

Dr. Dhany Charest, the chief of staff at the Moncton Hospital, said two gunshot victims related to the tragedy were being treated. A third patient was being treated from a separate gunshot incident that occurred on Wednesday evening.

The hospital remains on lockdown with police and security guarding the building. The hospital had declared a "code orange" requiring all available staff to come to the hospital, but that was lifted around 1:30 a.m. AT.

Hospital staff said the two people injured in the shooting are in stable condition. They could not confirm these people were RCMP officers, nor the gender of the injured.

Officials said operating rooms are being kept clear in case there are more casualties.

A police helicopter is flying in the area.

The RCMP said the police received a call at 7:20 p.m. AT about a man wearing camouflage and carrying guns.

Greene said additional police resources from across New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island are in Moncton to assist the RCMP in the manhunt.
'We're scared, obviously'

The shooting has rattled people living in the city's north end.

Joan MacAlpine-Stiles said she saw the shooter when she went to open up a window.

"It was really warm in the house, so we opened up the windows in the family room and there he was going across through the back with this rifle on his shoulder," she said.

"I said, 'Oh my God, there he is with camouflage and the headband and a gun, and it looked like a bow he had with him. And I mean he was just through our backyard.'"

Vanessa Bernatchez posted a video on Facebook from the moment the gunman opened fire, apparently killing at least one RCMP officer.

Watching from inside her living room with several others, Bernatchez said it appears the Mountie didn’t see the shooter until the gunfire erupted.

“It was too late, he went down. We knew it was over,” Bernatchez told CBC News Network.

On the video, a man describes what’s happening outside.

“He shot him … he shot a cop,” he said.

“Oh my God,” Bernatchez screams. “Call 911.”

The video ends with her racing to the phone. Police and a tactical team arrived on the scene soon after, she said.

Will Njoku said he was emptying his dishwasher and putting his young children to bed just before 8 p.m. when he heard popping sounds.

"Within 30 seconds I heard sirens," he said.

Njoku said he heard five more shots after the sirens.

"We’re scared, obviously. We’re more terrified for the people who this shooter is basically in their backyard. I can picture these people’s houses," he said.

When the news broke that there was a shooter on the loose, Njoku said, he went out on his street to warn his neighbours.

"I felt pretty dumb. But there was people going down there. I just know my neighbourhood. It’s just kid city," he said.
Premier 'shocked and saddened'

New Brunswick Premier David Alward issued a statement about the Moncton police shootings.

"I was shocked and saddened to learn of tonight's tragic situation in Moncton," Alward said.

"On behalf of all New Brunswickers, I would like to extend my thoughts and prayers to those affected. I would ask New Brunswickers, particularly in those areas identified by police, to follow the situation as it develops and to listen to the advice of police."

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc also asked city residents to stay indoors.

"Terrible sad news for Moncton. Stay indoors and allow police to do their job. Prayers for the families," LeBlanc tweeted.

LeBlanc said at a news conference that he has confidence that police will apprehend the suspect and he said there is no need at this point to declare a state of emergency.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper commented on the shootings Thursday morning.

"On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our deepest condolences to the families, colleagues and friends of those affected by this tragedy. We also offer our prayers for the speedy recovery of those injured," Harper said in a statement.

Harper is currently in Belgium to attend a G7 Summit meeting.

"This violent incident is a stark reminder that our men and women in law enforcement put their lives on the line in Canada every day to protect our citizens and communities," he said.

The CBC's Kate Letterick is on the scene. Follow @letterickCBC for emerging details.

from moncton's newspaper:

Three police officers have been killed in Moncton and another two have sustained non-life threatening injuries, the RCMP has confirmed. The shooter is still actively being sought.

A manhunt continued past 1 a.m. in north-end Moncton for Justin Bourque, 24, considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information on the suspect is asked to call 9-1-1. He is described as a young man wearing camouflage with long brown hair carrying two military-style rifles with high-capacity magazines, a bow and a knife.

As Cpl. Damien Theriault confirmed to reporters the deaths of three of his colleagues during a press conference at Moncton City Hall at half past midnight, the grief began to spill over.

Though tears flowed freely, he found the strength to give his statement.

“Around 7:30 p.m., while responding to a call of an armed man in the north end of the City of Moncton, three of Codiac RCMP’s officers were shot and killed,” he said. “Two other officers were also injured but their lives are not threatened at this time.”

Theriault said at the time of his statement, the many RCMP units were actively searching for the shooter.

“We are urging the people who live in the area to stay inside and lock their doors,” he said, urging other residents to stay away from that area if they don’t have to be there, so the can RCMP do their job “as quickly as possible”.

The RCMP tweeted around 1 a.m. that the shooter was believed to still be in the Pinehurst area of Moncton. They urged residents to stay locked inside but keep their outdoor lights on.

Police asked residents to refrain from posting on social media where they were located. People took to social media to express their grief about the shooting. #prayformoncton and #MonctonShooting were trending on Twitter.

Theriault confirmed that there were other RCMP jurisdictions in the city aiding with the search operation but couldn’t say from where or how many there were.

Mayor George LeBlanc, who stood by Theriault’s side during his statement to the media, called Wednesday the worst of all his days as mayor of Moncton.

“I give my most sincere condolences to the families of the police officers who have been killed in line of duty,” he said. “This is a terrible loss and tragedy for the families and for all of us here in the City of Moncton. We hope that this suspect is taken into custody and brought to justice quickly. The city must hold together as a family and support those who have suffered losses in this terrible tragedy.”

Asked if the city must declare an official emergency, LeBlanc said it was not being discussed at this point and time.

“I’m confident in the ability of the RCMP to handle this situation,” he said.

Over the course of the night, the crisis unfolded in the Hildegarde Drive area before crossing Wheeler Boulevard south into the Pinehurst neighbourhood and the area surrounding the Moncton Coliseum. A heavy police presence, including an RCMP helicopter, was seen at the intersection of Mountain Road and Trinity Drive – a major shopping area – throughout the night as well.

Wheeler Boulevard was closed off between Killam Drive and Mountain Road and other blockades were in place around the area.

The Moncton Hospital officials confirmed that extra staff were brought in to deal with the crisis, and the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre was on standby.

“As this unthinkable tragedy continues to unfold, I share the shock and sadness of everyone in Moncton and people throughout the province of New Brunswick,” said John McGarry, president and CEO of Horizon.

“We are restricting visitors to those with critically ill family members, and ask all others to refrain from visiting at this time.”

Officials from the hospital said the three slain officers were not brought to the facility.

Dr. Dhany Charest, chief of staff at The Moncton Hospital confirmed they received two victims related to this tragedy.

“They have been treated and are in stable condition in hospital,” he said. “We have also received a third patient from a separate incident that occurred Wednesday evening. That person is in critical condition in the OR.”

Another shooting took place near Saint Laurent Street in Dieppe shortly before 10 p.m. Wednesday. Little information about that incident was available.

RCMP from across the Maritimes were on scene in north-end Moncton Wednesday night, and cruisers from Bathurst City Police and Miramichi police forces could be seen working alongside the Mounties as the drama led into Thursday morning.

The RCMP requested and received two armoured vehicles from G4S security. Also on scene is an armoured vehicle from Halifax RCMP.

Several Times & Transcript reporters and a photographer were on scene.

Veteran reporter Alan Cochrane called it the biggest police he had ever seen, including the manhunt for Alan Legere in Moncton in the 1980s.

“Police officers have by and large remained very composed,” Times & Transcript reporter Brent Mazerolle said. “You can hear the fear and strain in their voices, but they are remarkably focused on the job.”

Premier David Alward issued a statement at 11:04 p.m.

“I was shocked and saddened to learn of tonight’s tragic situation in Moncton,” Alward said. “On behalf of all New Brunswickers, I would like to extend my thoughts and prayers to those affected.

“I would ask New Brunswickers, particularly in those areas identified by police, to follow the situation as it develops and to listen to the advice of police.”

Earlier in the night, heavily armed police were aiming their rifles down the southbound on-ramp onto Wheeler from Mountain Road at Trinity. A helicopter was overhead. Two tractor trailers were commandeered to provide cover and to block traffic at the intersection.

Deputy Chief Don McCabe of the Moncton Fire Department told the Times & Transcript that firefighters on engine #5 were returning from a car fire on Berry Mills Road when they got a call to assist a wounded man at 19 Bromfield Ct. When they arrived, they found a wounded RCMP officer.

“Our guys were trapped in the hot zone and did CPR on the police officer for two and a half hours,” McCabe said.

He explained that protocol dictates that firefighters must continue lifesaving efforts until someone can officially declare death.

As the scope of the crisis in the north end became apparent, Ambulance New Brunswick officials were forced to stage a safe distance from the shooting scene. They set up at Lounsbury furniture store on Mountain Road. It wasn’t until the gunman was believed to be sighted near Plaza Boulevard and Mountain Road that the situation on Bronfield was deemed safe enough for more help to arrive.

“Our firefighters did this while they didn’t know where the gunman was,” McCabe said.

Codiac Transpo buses serving the Plaza Boulevard area were pulled from service.

Another officer was believed to have been shot near the corner of Isington Street and Mailhot, and another shooting took place on Penrose. An officer’s shotgun and sidearms were seen next to an abandoned police car that had been shot at. There was a pool of blood near the drivers side door. There was also a shotgun and a shell casing in the blood. There was an automatic pistol police issue and a police portable radio that was still working.

A man who lives nearby, Danny Crossman, said he saw police drag a body away from the car around 8 p.m. He did not hear gunshots.

“I just got home and saw the commotion,” he said. “I walked down the street and came upon a car shot up and people moving a body.”

Another area resident, Wade Perry, saw the gunman on Mailhot Avenue.

The gunman drew his rifle on Perry and told him to freeze. Perry said he quickly put his car in reverse and backed onto Hildegarde and drove down Ryan Road where he saw a jogger headed to the area the gunman was in. He stopped to warn her and she jumped in with him until they got to safety.

This incident represents the first time Moncton police officers have been killed in the line of duty since 1974.

also, from moncton's newspaper:

A collection of eerie, foreboding posts littered Justin Bourque’s Facebook page in the days before a shooting rampage last night that left three RCMP officers dead and two others injured.

Pictures showed Bourque posing with firearms and other weapons and Internet memes and were indicative of his interests and beliefs, including a fondness for guns, specifically.

His final post on the social media site just after 6 p.m. quoted song lyrics which included the lines: “Make a person disappear, and no one will ever miss you. Rewrites every story, every poem that ever was. Eliminates incompetence, and those who break the laws. Follow the instructions of the New Ways’ Evil Book of Rules … Don’t try to fool us, we know the worst is yet to come. I believe my kingdom will come.”

About an hour later, the shooting rampage in the north end of Moncton began.

By 12:30 a.m. last night, Bourque’s final status update had been shared over 1,000 times, and several “community interest pages” had been created.

In just an hour, one page garnered over 300 likes, but many of the people commenting on the single video that was posted on the site indicated they had reported the page.

A Moncton woman who worked with Bourque several years ago recalls an “odd” young man who often talked about wanting to “go out with a bang and take people with him.”

“He used to talk about this day … this is something he wanted people to talk about but I never thought he’d actually go through with it,” said 23-year-old Caitlin Isaac, who said she worked with Bourque at the Walmart on Moncton’s Plaza Boulevard for about a year and a half “three or four years ago.”

“He said it in a joking manner but he was weird enough that you kind of didn’t know if he was being serious or not.”

Isaac said Bourque had “always been into guns and always had that off personality.”

“He had two guns that he had in his room and they were his favourite things,” she said. “He talked about them a lot.

“He always stood out as a weird kind of guy.”

Isaac also recalls Bourque having a “big problem with authority.”

“He seemed to have a hate on for everything.”

When Isaac first saw the photo of Bourque taken by Times & Transcript photographer Viktor Pivovarov circulating on social media last night, she recognized her former co-worker immediately.

“I went on Facebook and found a picture (of him), cropped the two together and pointed out that the gun on his left shoulder is the same gun he’s holding in (Pivovarov’s) picture and a very similar jacket,” said Isaac, adding that she hadn’t spoken to Bourque in years when she made the “shocking” discovery last night.

“I looked at my roommate and my mouth was wide open. I had no idea what to say. All I could think of was ‘Wow, that’s Justin.’”

wow :/

Ugh, makes me mad. Hope they catch the guy and that no more officers or civilians have to die. :(

That is insane.

Stupid :/ Why do people have to do this?

Gee I'd expect this sort of thing in the US, not Canada.

as a maritimer, I have to say everyone here is in shock. i can't wrap my head around any of this.

moncton's a city where people usually don't even lock their doors. this is horrible and i really hate that my favourite city in the world is going through this.

i have a ton of friends there, i live 3 hours away but have a cottage just outside moncton, and i go there A LOT for my job.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1374998/rcmp-officers-shot-in-moncton-reports/

They got him

• Suspect Justin Bourque arrested at 12:10 a.m. in Moncton.
  • Dave Ross identified as one of the Mounties killed.
  • Police say residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes.
  • RCMP will provide an update at 8 a.m. AT / 7 a.m. ET Friday.
  • One wounded officer is still in hospital and another has been released.

The search for a heavily armed suspect who allegedly killed three RCMP officers and wounded two others in a Moncton, N.B. shooting rampage, ended early Friday morning when police confirmed suspect Justin Bourque was arrested at 12:10 a.m. local time.

I'm surprise that they caught him alive, most rampage killers go out by suicide or suicide by cop

http://globalnews.ca/news/1374998/rcmp-officers-shot-in-moncton-reports/

They got him

• Suspect Justin Bourque arrested at 12:10 a.m. in Moncton.
  • Dave Ross identified as one of the Mounties killed.
  • Police say residents of north Moncton can now leave their homes.
  • RCMP will provide an update at 8 a.m. AT / 7 a.m. ET Friday.
  • One wounded officer is still in hospital and another has been released.

The search for a heavily armed suspect who allegedly killed three RCMP officers and wounded two others in a Moncton, N.B. shooting rampage, ended early Friday morning when police confirmed suspect Justin Bourque was arrested at 12:10 a.m. local time.

I'm surprise that they caught him alive, most rampage killers go out by suicide or suicide by cop

it's the maritimes.

what? maritimers don't commit suicide?

what? maritimers don't commit suicide?

i was more trying to say that the cops here are way less likely to shoot someone too.

I hear he surrendered.

He surrendered, he probably heard the rumors that they were mobilizing a much larger, much more lethal, and more unbending force in the form of Canadian Forces Base Gagetown where the Royal Canadian Regiment has soldiers stationed.