Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
The End

What is your opinion of Ronald Reagan?

Ronald Reagan  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think FDR set this country on a dangerous path, but that is a different argument ;)

To the point on diplomacy, diplomacy is a two way street. One cannot feel intimidated in order to make progress. Supremacy is not diplomacy. I agree we should not have helped Ukraine, and I like neither Bush or Obama. To be honest, Nixon is a GREAT example of what a diplomat should be (again another discussion) I'm not even talking about Reagan anymore :P

Lol I think I know what you mean about FDR. Good argument for diplomacy though. Yet sometimes I do believe the best strategy is to show them who the man of the house really is. Also I had no idea you were American!I thought pretty much everyone here was Canadian eh or Austrailian except Tank, you can tell an Englishman from a mile away.

Indeed you can, old chap.

It would be interesting to know the nationality of the voters - within America Reagan seems to be essentially known as the man who killed off the USSR (as we have seen in some of the responses) but outside America he isn't. Or at least not to the same extent. Personally I'm on the 'no, he just quadrupled your debt for no real gain' side ;)

:o Such BLASPHEMY!

Indeed you can, old chap.

It would be interesting to know the nationality of the voters - within America Reagan seems to be essentially known as the man who killed off the USSR (as we have seen in some of the responses) but outside America he isn't. Or at least not to the same extent. Personally I'm on the 'no, he just quadrupled your debt for no real gain' side ;)

I think that's pretty much his image outside of America too (I'm Australian). Also, he and Thatcher were like siblings split at birth.

Blame propaganda for that one ;)

Also, he and Thatcher were like siblings split at birth.

British legend is that Reagan was effectively subservient to Thatcher, as he liked domineering women 

The images that creates just gives me the creeps... :unsure:

Blame propaganda for that one ;)

Also, he and Thatcher were like siblings split at birth.

British legend is that Reagan was effectively subservient to Thatcher, as he liked domineering women 

The images that creates just gives me the creeps... :unsure:

Thanks for bringing that image back, now I have to purge my memory again :P

I actually talked about this quite extensively in one of my classes and there is some compelling evidence that there was some substance to this accusation. 

Lol I think I know what you mean about FDR. Good argument for diplomacy though. Yet sometimes I do believe the best strategy is to show them who the man of the house really is. Also I had no idea you were American!I thought pretty much everyone here was Canadian eh or Austrailian except Tank, you can tell an Englishman from a mile away.

Obviously you can't walk in to discussion looking to concede, but in situations like Ukraine you need leverage in order to be the "an of the house". In this situation the United States tried to be the man of the house without leverage. The US does not have leverage because they have invaded several countries as well, ie. Iraq and Afghanistan. Russia denounced our actions in those cases, and we disregarded that. When Russia invaded the Ukraine the same thing happened in reverse. We denounced their actions, and they disregarded it. It is hypocritical for the US to call for Russia to stop occupying a certain sovereign  territory while the US continues to be able to occupy whoever they please. If the US was not occupying the Middle East, they would have leverage. We created an international precedent that it is ok to invade another territory if it is to quell "terrorism" they used the same disguise to invade Ukraine. If the US would stay in its pants so to speak, we would be able to keep other nations in their pants too. 

Obviously you can't walk in to discussion looking to concede, but in situations like Ukraine you need leverage in order to be the "an of the house". In this situation the United States tried to be the man of the house without leverage. The US does not have leverage because they have invaded several countries as well, ie. Iraq and Afghanistan. Russia denounced our actions in those cases, and we disregarded that. When Russia invaded the Ukraine the same thing happened in reverse. We denounced their actions, and they disregarded it. It is hypocritical for the US to call for Russia to stop occupying a certain sovereign  territory while the US continues to be able to occupy whoever they please. If the US was not occupying the Middle East, they would have leverage. We created an international precedent that it is ok to invade another territory if it is to quell "terrorism" they used the same disguise to invade Ukraine. If the US would stay in its pants so to speak, we would be able to keep other nations in their pants too.

I couldn't agree with you more!