Photo

What is your opinion of Ronald Reagan?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Ronald Reagan

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What is your opinion of Ronald Reagan?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Nation Link:[ Link ]
  • Nation Ruler:lonzomac
  • Nation Name:Mushugga

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:47 AM - 0907121

Putin respected Bush because he demonstrated that we're willing to hit people hard.The Russians couldn't contain Afghanistan and gave up and Bush did a JOB containing that specific area (job meaning he bombed the sugar out of it just because he felt like it). The Russians aren't as civilized as the western world and when dealing with barbarians, they have to respect your authoritay. Reagan totally pulled it off. Putin sure didn't try that sugar in Ukraine when Bush was in office.

#22 Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard

Lailander

• Associate Justice
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,074 posts

• Nation Ruler:Dark Wizard
  • Nation Name:New Carnoly

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:22 AM - 0907122

What specifically would you have wanted Obama to do differently. Or a more specific question, in your ideal world, if Bush was President, how would he have reacted to the Ukraine crisis?

#23 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:23 PM - 0907123

Authoritay indicates supremacay, which leads to diplomacay. Honestly I don't think we should've done anything to support Ukraine. They didn't wanna be part of NATO so really we owe them nothing. And don't get me wrong, I don't care much for Bush either. America hasn't had a decent president since FDR.

#24 Aurelius

Aurelius

The Blue Man

• Forum Admin
  • 3,949 posts
  • IRC Nick:Aurelius

• Nation Ruler:Aurelius
  • Nation Name:Cenk Uygur

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:28 PM - 0907124

Authoritay indicates supremacay, which leads to diplomacay. Honestly I don't think we should've done anything to support Ukraine. They didn't wanna be part of NATO so really we owe them nothing. And don't get me wrong, I don't care much for Bush either. America hasn't had a decent president since FDR.

Stop it, Cartman.

#25 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:26 AM - 0907125

:D Love Cartman

#26 Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard

Lailander

• Associate Justice
  • 6,074 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:37 AM - 0907126

I think FDR set this country on a dangerous path, but that is a different argument ;)

To the point on diplomacy, diplomacy is a two way street. One cannot feel intimidated in order to make progress. Supremacy is not diplomacy. I agree we should not have helped Ukraine, and I like neither Bush or Obama. To be honest, Nixon is a GREAT example of what a diplomat should be (again another discussion) I'm not even talking about Reagan anymore :P

#27 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:37 AM - 0907127

Lol I think I know what you mean about FDR. Good argument for diplomacy though. Yet sometimes I do believe the best strategy is to show them who the man of the house really is. Also I had no idea you were American!I thought pretty much everyone here was Canadian eh or Austrailian except Tank, you can tell an Englishman from a mile away.

#28 Mandystalin

Mandystalin

TTK Patriarch

• The Templar Knights
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

• Nation Ruler:Mandystalin
  • Nation Name:Lutonstan

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:38 AM - 0907128

Indeed you can, old chap.

It would be interesting to know the nationality of the voters - within America Reagan seems to be essentially known as the man who killed off the USSR (as we have seen in some of the responses) but outside America he isn't. Or at least not to the same extent. Personally I'm on the 'no, he just quadrupled your debt for no real gain' side ;)

#29 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:00 AM - 0907129

:o Such BLASPHEMY!

#30 Aurelius

Aurelius

The Blue Man

• Forum Admin
  • 3,949 posts
  • IRC Nick:Aurelius

• Nation Ruler:Aurelius
  • Nation Name:Cenk Uygur

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:18 PM - 0907130

Indeed you can, old chap.

It would be interesting to know the nationality of the voters - within America Reagan seems to be essentially known as the man who killed off the USSR (as we have seen in some of the responses) but outside America he isn't. Or at least not to the same extent. Personally I'm on the 'no, he just quadrupled your debt for no real gain' side ;)

I think that's pretty much his image outside of America too (I'm Australian). Also, he and Thatcher were like siblings split at birth.

#31 Mandystalin

Mandystalin

TTK Patriarch

• The Templar Knights
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

• Nation Ruler:Mandystalin
  • Nation Name:Lutonstan

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:30 AM - 0907131

Blame propaganda for that one ;)

Also, he and Thatcher were like siblings split at birth.

British legend is that Reagan was effectively subservient to Thatcher, as he liked domineering women 

The images that creates just gives me the creeps... :unsure:

#32 Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard

Lailander

• Associate Justice
  • 6,074 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:10 PM - 0907132

Blame propaganda for that one ;)

Also, he and Thatcher were like siblings split at birth.

British legend is that Reagan was effectively subservient to Thatcher, as he liked domineering women 

The images that creates just gives me the creeps... :unsure:

Thanks for bringing that image back, now I have to purge my memory again :P

I actually talked about this quite extensively in one of my classes and there is some compelling evidence that there was some substance to this accusation. 

#33 Dark Wizard

Dark Wizard

Lailander

• Associate Justice
  • 6,074 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:18 PM - 0907133

Lol I think I know what you mean about FDR. Good argument for diplomacy though. Yet sometimes I do believe the best strategy is to show them who the man of the house really is. Also I had no idea you were American!I thought pretty much everyone here was Canadian eh or Austrailian except Tank, you can tell an Englishman from a mile away.

Obviously you can't walk in to discussion looking to concede, but in situations like Ukraine you need leverage in order to be the "an of the house". In this situation the United States tried to be the man of the house without leverage. The US does not have leverage because they have invaded several countries as well, ie. Iraq and Afghanistan. Russia denounced our actions in those cases, and we disregarded that. When Russia invaded the Ukraine the same thing happened in reverse. We denounced their actions, and they disregarded it. It is hypocritical for the US to call for Russia to stop occupying a certain sovereign  territory while the US continues to be able to occupy whoever they please. If the US was not occupying the Middle East, they would have leverage. We created an international precedent that it is ok to invade another territory if it is to quell "terrorism" they used the same disguise to invade Ukraine. If the US would stay in its pants so to speak, we would be able to keep other nations in their pants too. 

#34 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:47 PM - 0907134

Obviously you can't walk in to discussion looking to concede, but in situations like Ukraine you need leverage in order to be the "an of the house". In this situation the United States tried to be the man of the house without leverage. The US does not have leverage because they have invaded several countries as well, ie. Iraq and Afghanistan. Russia denounced our actions in those cases, and we disregarded that. When Russia invaded the Ukraine the same thing happened in reverse. We denounced their actions, and they disregarded it. It is hypocritical for the US to call for Russia to stop occupying a certain sovereign  territory while the US continues to be able to occupy whoever they please. If the US was not occupying the Middle East, they would have leverage. We created an international precedent that it is ok to invade another territory if it is to quell "terrorism" they used the same disguise to invade Ukraine. If the US would stay in its pants so to speak, we would be able to keep other nations in their pants too.

I couldn't agree with you more!