Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
TankKiller

Cars

(Apologies in advance to any Renault Twingo drivers out there. You have my condolences.)

I had the misfortune of driving my friend's 1.2L Renault Twingo the other day. It did 0-60MPH in about 2 and a half minutes, had an awful gearbox (horrible to find the gears) and clutch (we drive manuals here), and the accelerator pedal wasn't much better since it didn't do all that much. It was terrifying to drive on the motorway, since it was very hard to match speed with the rest of the traffic and impossible to overtake anything due to a lack of acceleration. And I was trying to deal with driving on the other side of the car and trying to find the gearstick with my right hand...

I felt a bit bad for my friend, 'cause I was so surprised at how awful it was that I kept exclaiming outloud... but long story short, it really made me miss my not-exactly-powerful 2L Seat Ibiza Sport. Sadly I'm going to have to sell that and buy a new car here, since it's a RHD car.

Anyway, I'm eyeing up buying a 1.6L VW Golf or maybe an Audi A3. But all this consideration of cars made me wonder what you, the members and visitors to our forums drive.

And do you have any recommendations or cars to avoid?

Pictures of your pride-and-joys encouraged!

Are you buying or leasing? I am too searching the cars available as my leasecontract is due for renewal next month.

VW's have about the smoothest transmissions that I've gotten to use outside of the little Ford Ranger I had once upon a time. This is my current project. '68 Mustang all original 4 speed :) Just needs minor work. I love cars. Well I tried uploading but it keeps saying the file is too large.

Are you buying or leasing? I am too searching the cars available as my leasecontract is due for renewal next month.

I'd be buying, but I'd never thought about leasing to be honest. Not sure how popular an option that is here.

VW's have about the smoothest transmissions that I've gotten to use outside of the little Ford Ranger I had once upon a time. This is my current project. '68 Mustang all original 4 speed :) Just needs minor work. I love cars. Well I tried uploading but it keeps saying the file is too large.

Try uploading to http://www.imgur.com/? I'd love to see it! :D

My dad drives a 2008 Golf, OBX header, 3 1/2 drop, Carbon Fiber intake.

(Apologies in advance to any Renault Twingo drivers out there. You have my condolences.)

I had the misfortune of driving my friend's 1.2L Renault Twingo the other day. It did 0-60MPH in about 2 and a half minutes, had an awful gearbox (horrible to find the gears) and clutch (we drive manuals here), and the accelerator pedal wasn't much better since it didn't do all that much. It was terrifying to drive on the motorway, since it was very hard to match speed with the rest of the traffic and impossible to overtake anything due to a lack of acceleration. And I was trying to deal with driving on the other side of the car and trying to find the gearstick with my right hand...

I felt a bit bad for my friend, 'cause I was so surprised at how awful it was that I kept exclaiming outloud... but long story short, it really made me miss my not-exactly-powerful 2L Seat Ibiza Sport. Sadly I'm going to have to sell that and buy a new car here, since it's a RHD car.

Anyway, I'm eyeing up buying a 1.6L VW Golf or maybe an Audi A3. But all this consideration of cars made me wonder what you, the members and visitors to our forums drive.

And do you have any recommendations or cars to avoid?

Pictures of your pride-and-joys encouraged!

If you want a good reliable car at a cheap price Volkswagen or Audi is the way to go. on www.thesamba.com they have a lot of people selling air cooled VW's and some water cooled VW's.

I can't recommend Toyota's enough. There's a reason why the most popular car company with people with a net value greater than 1 million is Toyota. The engineering is designed for longevity and they can take a substantial amount of abuse from your average Joe.  

I'm driving a 2002 Honda Accord, many things have just stopped working over time. I can't adjust my side mirrors and I can't even open my right rear window. The right windshield spray nozzle also stopped working and the left one doesn't work properly. The little annoyances are aggravating. 

Not with my old '99 Toyota Corolla though, the sugar just works. My old irresponsible roommate drove a '97 Corolla which he abused the sugar out of. He didn't change the oil for so long that it turned into sludge and took hours to pump out. It still operated! Not to mention Toyota's hold their re-sale value like no other. I regularly see dinky old '95 Corolla's, etc go for 5k. Insane! 

And I imagine European models are way better than American ones.

Every make has different trouble with different models. Your best bet is to figure what you want out of a car, and then search for faults specific to whichever cars suit your needs.

As for my car history, it really begins with my Dad's FJ45 Cruiser

IMAG0077.jpg?psid=1

A lot of fun was had in that 350 Chev V8 powered beast, and was essentially the genesis of my love of cars.

Moving forward a bit, to my first car, it was/is a 1985 Nissan Bluebird TRX. Bought originally as a 'paddock bomb' for $500, including another car for spares, it mainly saw use as a race car on tarmac and dirt hillclimb. Its now registered for limited use (90 log-booked days per year), has a very loud exhaust, and is a LOT of fun xD

This is when I first had it home:

P1000440.JPG?psid=1

And this is an action shot of some 'Khanacross' (great fun xD)

P1000860.JPG?psid=1

My next car, and the first I owned which was road registered, was a 1989 Nissan R31 Skyline Silhouette.

I don't have any photos of the actual car, and it was a little worse for ware prior to my ownership. But again it was a $500 car, and I was a newly licensed driver with a Skyline, so it went better than it looked :P

Heres an example, complete with the neat lip spoiler xD

22073660001_large.jpg

Finally I progressed to my current car, another Nissan, indeed another Skyline.

This time its a V35 350GT-8, meaning a 3.5ltr V6, and a rare 'toroidal' CVT (called an Extroid, very fascinating for those mechanically inclined).

Much more of a performance car than those before, it was only a few grams shy of being to light/powerful for my provisional licence at the time xD

Here is a pic of the actual car, only before I purchased it hehe

post-31143-1161509119.jpg

So yeah, thats my car history. Thinking about trying a coupe next time, I've always liked 4 door practicality, but now my mates can drive themselves :P

Skoda Fabia (diesel). Small, but we have the estate so it actually fits a lot in. 

Lovely to drive, it has enough 'poke' for good motorway driving and you get good mileage out of it

That's an awful pic, but the car looks sweet!

And nice Aloysius! Though half of your pictures don't load. ;) Host them somewhere better!

Yeah I took it out of my window, I'll post better ones a bit later.

I can't recommend Toyota's enough. There's a reason why the most popular car company with people with a net value greater than 1 million is Toyota. The engineering is designed for longevity and they can take a substantial amount of abuse from your average Joe.  

I'm driving a 2002 Honda Accord, many things have just stopped working over time. I can't adjust my side mirrors and I can't even open my right rear window. The right windshield spray nozzle also stopped working and the left one doesn't work properly. The little annoyances are aggravating. 

Not with my old '99 Toyota Corolla though, the sugar just works. My old irresponsible roommate drove a '97 Corolla which he abused the sugar out of. He didn't change the oil for so long that it turned into sludge and took hours to pump out. It still operated! Not to mention Toyota's hold their re-sale value like no other. I regularly see dinky old '95 Corolla's, etc go for 5k. Insane! 

And I imagine European models are way better than American ones.

Toyota's seem to run FOREVER! I had a Tacoma for a bit and it did far better off road than I'd thought.

Maybe it will work now hehe

:o Your steering wheel is on the wrong side! I like your Nissan, what model is it? Kinda looks like an Altima.

Aussies drive on the left, the *right* side of the road. :D

xD Which nissan? They all are except the 4WD hehe

I want to drive a Mini Cooper. I don't know if that will earn me respect or disgust but I've put it out there.

An original or the new one?

An original or the new one?

I'll go for a new one first but, if I win the lottery, then I'll get a classic one, learn to do Michael Caine's accent and go around saying, "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

originals aren't all that expensive

While we're on the subject of cars... can I say that this 2016 Ford GT

ford-gt-4778.jpg

Ford-GT-2016-2.jpg

Looks like the Ferrari La Ferrari?

ferrari_laferrari_video_13.jpg?itok=4r7x

Ferrari-LaFerrari-474x316-3e0e41bf5ac955

I can totally see how it is different, but Ford has done this in the past with the Fiesta looking like Aston Martins.

originals aren't all that expensive

Probs not but I'm too pov to own two cars at the moment. :P

thats why my secondary and tertiary cars are all worth around 500 bucks lol

thats why my secondary and tertiary cars are all worth around 500 bucks lol

Dude, that's cheap ... How on Earth?

I can totally see how it is different, but Ford has done this in the past with the Fiesta looking like Aston Martins.

Realize though that Ford used to own Aston, as such they really were not copying the look, just using one they already had and liked, so why not make it work elsewhere if appropriate?

As for current drivers, I currently own a '95 Ford Mustang Convertible that is my primary driver as well as a 2000 Toyota Tundra that is my winter and towing vehicle. I will likely replace the Mustang in a few years though after I graduate college and get some cash settled in, and am honestly thinking of purchasing something European made to replace it (though, my car opinion may be a bit skewed lately because I have become a fan of Top Gear recently).