• 230 posts
  • IRC Nick:oddsox

• Nation Link:[ Link ]
  • Nation Ruler:oddsox
  • Nation Name:Kitty Funland

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:32 PM - 093191

I was watching a vlog and the guy asked his girlfriend "What if you were traveling at the speed of light, and turned your headlights on?"

Now the first thing I thought was, 'okay so nothing that has mass can actually travel at light speed' but it was just a question. So I ask you, what would happen if you were in your car traveling light speed and you turned your headlights on? 

#2 Aurelius

Aurelius

The Blue Man

• Forum Admin
  • 3,949 posts
  • IRC Nick:Aurelius

• Nation Ruler:Aurelius
  • Nation Name:Cenk Uygur

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:19 PM - 093192

If I remember my Einstein's theory correctly, normal everyday observation would tell you that the speed of the light coming from your car would be the speed of light plus the speed of your car, in other words twice the speed of light. However, that's not what happens - the speed of the light coming out of your car lights would be the speed of light only. In other words, the speed of light is constant at whatever speed you start from.

I'd have to check that is 100% correct, though. It's been a while since I've read any of this stuff. Mind you, I would recommend Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos, if you're interested in this stuff. It's a very good starter on space, time and cosmology.

#3 lonzomac

lonzomac

Kajillionaire...

• NADC Assembly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

• Nation Ruler:lonzomac
  • Nation Name:Mushugga

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:02 PM - 093193

Wouldn't your body ignite going that fast? Or like explode or something to that effect?

#4 TankKiller

TankKiller

Where are you?!

• Forum Admin
  • 3,032 posts
  • IRC Nick:ayleid

• Nation Ruler:TankKiller
  • Nation Name:Kortaenica

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:54 AM - 093194

As you approach the speed of light, your mass/energy approaches infinity. :P

Additionally, time moves slower the faster you travel. This is known as special relativity. There are people who have spent their entire working lives jetting around the world, and they've managed to delay (to us, not to them) their deaths by millionths of a second.

Special relativity has a very important application in GPS satellites. GPS satellites require timings that are incredibly precise; precise enough to be affected by the fact that they (travelling as they are at incredible speeds) experience a slightly different perspective of time to us. This is taken into account in their programming and design, and they have small adjustments to their internal clocks being constantly applied to keep them accurate to our perspective of time.

To half-answer your question and taking from the above, if you travel at the speed of light time will stop, so I don't think that light would go anywhere. At least from your perspective.

#5 oddsox

oddsox

Ummm... Meow?

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • IRC Nick:oddsox

• Nation Ruler:oddsox
  • Nation Name:Kitty Funland

• Resource One:
  • Resource Two:

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:18 PM - 093195

Wouldn't your body ignite going that fast? Or like explode or something to that effect?

Like I said, its just a question, IF you were traveling light speed.