Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Aurelius

Ted Cruz's chances of becoming president

So, it seems that it has begun in earnest. I read this morning that Cruz officially threw his hat into the ring. What are his chances?

Also, I'm bemused that the race has already begun over a year and eight months out.

So, it seems that it has begun in earnest. I read this morning that Cruz officially threw his hat into the ring. What are his chances?

Also, I'm bemused that the race has already begun over a year and eight months out.

I hate how they already talk about this sugar when its so far out, especially cnn thats all they talk about, there are other things going on in the world than just dumb political crap.

As his chances, he has as good of chances as any other candidate. It all depends how he runs his campaign and how he presents himself. Hopefully he (and other republicans) learned from the embarrassing and stupid mistakes that the Romney campaign made, he won't be able to afford to make mistakes if he will face Clinton 2.0. I think his Hispanic background will help him with the minority vote although I admit he does not look Hispanic so and I doubt the average american voter knows that so he would have to advertise it or make that fact well known. If he reaches out to the minority vote he will have a good chance. He also should not veer too right in the primaries, if he does well... people are gonna accuse him of flip floping if he tries to switch to a more moderate stance in the general election, the average american voter won't like hard righters so if he is smart he will avoid going too far right. While his stances on gay marriage will most likely alienate the same sex vote, his saving grace is that he believes that it should be left up to the states to decide. Idk really, it depends heavily on how he presents himself, if he does everything right with little mistakes he can be a serious contender in the primaries.

It's just a distraction to pull attention away from where it is needed.

I lol'd at this lmao

It's just a distraction to pull attention away from where it is needed.

Five thirty-eight agrees with you.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lets-be-serious-about-ted-cruz-from-the-start-hes-too-extreme-and-too-disliked-to-win/

With recent developments in the Middle East, Mr. Cruz is just something to distract away from tangible tensions between Obama and Netanyahu. Coupled with the destabilization of Yemen along with Iraq and Syria, I'm honestly worried. Arabs have rarely showed an all out assault on two fronts, especially with large groups like ISIS and Al Queda. The RG and following insurgency in Iraq was tough enough but we had constant help from the Israeli Air Force. My life was saved by one of their strikes because NOBODY else in the Coalition had any available air support. They're more important than people realize. Now because of our desertion they're going to be annihilated and we lose our one ally in that zone. Once they conglomerate and achieve a nuclear program, the world is doomed. Civilized people know that nuclear war will be bad for all of us. Radical Islamists would burn the world and their own children just to prove they're dedicated.

I cannot see why this is surprising. People have been talking about potential presidential candidates for the next election since the end of the last presidential election.

As for Cruz: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/1n4zvp/democalypse-2016---ted-cruz-is-in

GOP is running themselves out of another election. 

EXACTLY!

EXACTLY!

So, err, Jeb Bush then?

The Bush's never failed to entertain. Especially Dubya. If you believe in the Illuminati then he's going to be president.

Cruz won't even win the nomination.

I think he's probably gunning for a VP pick and/or just PR in general. 

I think he's probably gunning for a VP pick and/or just PR in general.

Doing a Palin? Although, to be fair to her, she only really went for the PR angle after being picked up by someone else.

Cruz has an agenda, but he is seen as having too many negatives. The establishment GOP will get behind Jeb Bush, but don't count Scott Walker from winning the nomination.

Hey may be one of the ones standing, but Cruz won't win the GOP nomination. He's incredibly divisive within the party as well, and almost universally disliked by his colleagues in the Senate. None of them want to see him President. Walker has a much better shot at the nomination.

Vote for Greene

Vote for Greene

Foiled by region restrictions again ...

I'm wondering if the fact that Cruz is not of the party, i.e. doesn't play by the accepted rules of the GOP, could help him at a grass roots level. My understanding is that you don't even need to be a registered Republican to vote in some of the primaries.

I'm wondering if the fact that Cruz is not of the party, i.e. doesn't play by the accepted rules of the GOP, could help him at a grass roots level. My understanding is that you don't even need to be a registered Republican to vote in some of the primaries.

That is correct. Some states have "open" primaries in which you can vote in either (but not both) party primaries. 

I think Marco Rubio has a better chance of being the GOP nominee than Cruz.

Hillary Clinton isn't helping herself right now on the Dem side. O'Malley looks good now, but it would be really difficult to defeat the power of the Clintons. Liz Warren says she isn't running, but if Hillary falters, she may join the fray. She has a strong liberal grassroots base.