Forums upgraded! Read more... ×
cn-nadc.net | North Atlantic Defense Coalition
Sign in to follow this  
Haart

File association

Some of my folders in Windows Vista can no longer be opened because the system claims that they no longer have a file association. I downloaded a fix from Microsoft but it didn't help, so does anyone have an idea how I can get back my folders?

I did, it didn't do anything as far as I can see. I'm guessing that normally when users have a file association problem it usually affects all files of a certain type, but for me it's just 6-7 of them and they all happen(ed) to be folders. It also means that I can't manually select a file association, since folders don't have a file extension. It might even be that file association itself is not the actual problem, but I can only guess. System restore will not help either, because this must have happened a long time ago.

Maybe your windows files are corrupt. Try this:

1) Press the windows button on your keyboard, then type "cmd" (without quotes). After that right click on the search result and choose Run as administrator.

2) Click Yes on the dialog box that pops out (If it pops out, if it does not, skip the step)

3) A black box should type out. Type in the following "sfc /scannow" (without quotes), and press enter.

4) Wait for the process to finish. Once done, restart your computer. Try opening the affected folders again.

If it still does not work, create a new user account and try accessing the affected folders using the new user account.

Just asking, are the affected folders on a network drive, external drive or on the hard disk of the computer (i.e. same hard disk that is used to boot the computer)?

Maybe your windows files are corrupt. Try this:

1) Press the windows button on your keyboard, then type "cmd" (without quotes). After that right click on the search result and choose Run as administrator.

2) Click Yes on the dialog box that pops out (If it pops out, if it does not, skip the step)

3) A black box should type out. Type in the following "sfc /scannow" (without quotes), and press enter.

4) Wait for the process to finish. Once done, restart your computer. Try opening the affected folders again.

If it still does not work, create a new user account and try accessing the affected folders using the new user account.

Just asking, are the affected folders on a network drive, external drive or on the hard disk of the computer (i.e. same hard disk that is used to boot the computer)?

I followed your instructions. When the scan was completed I was notified that some problems had been fixed, but I couldn't open the logs. In any case, I was still not able to open the folders, not even after a restart and trying another user account.

There are six affected folders; five of them are downloaded files in the same subfolder on the hard drive and the sixth one on the external drive is a backup copy of a professional program I'm using. One of the files is labelled "V-file" and I was actually able to open it using WinRAR, so it was probably a compressed file before the file association was lost. The other five are simply marked as "files" and should be folders. I also tried opening the affected folder on the USB drive on my laptop, but failed there as well.

I did a complete virus scan just in case, but apparently the program didn't find any infected files on the computer.

Good point, have you tried opening them with Notepad++ (or just Notepad) or something to see what the actual content is? If there's a bunch of content, then perhaps they're not actually folders...

Alt f4 alt f4. Or control alt delete

Well, apparently some measures must have lead to something, because now I was able to open three more "files" with WinRAR. That means there are only two left that I can't open nor access their contents, no matter what I'm trying to open them with.

Good point, have you tried opening them with Notepad++ (or just Notepad) or something to see what the actual content is? If there's a bunch of content, then perhaps they're not actually folders...

There are only installation files in that directory, so the file on the hard drive that I can't open should have at least an .exe file in it. When I try to open the two remaining folders with WinRAR I receive no error messages, but the "text" I get is unreadable. I'm able to distinguish "a memory leak has occurred" though, so perhaps that's what caused all this?

I've tried several recovery softwares to access the files in the folders, but since they are only labelled as files I still can't open them at all. It looks to me that the remaining folders and their contents are so damaged that I can't retrieve the info, so I guess I just have to accept that they are gone. Fortunately it wasn't critical to get the content, it could have been worse.